1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha CDR-HD1300 HDD/CD Recorder Laser?

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by altecman, Jan 23, 2018.

1. altecman

altecman Active Member

My Yamaha CDR-HD1300 is starting to play up, it won't read CD's anymore, comes up with the "Check Disc " error. The CD's are clean as a whistle, so I suppose it must be a dead laser. Problem now is that Yamaha doesn't stock the laser or the CDR Mechanical Unit part number V9397900 anymore.

I've seen people mention on some forum sites that they have replaced the laser but as this was some time ago I can't find any info regarding what make or model the laser was. Could anyone help me here as I would to get the old girl going again. Thanks:(:(

Please register to disable this ad.

2. KrisM

KrisM Lunatic Member

I can't answer your question, but I hope you find an answer.
    I've got one too, and think it's a great machine.

There's a guy here who knows a lot about repairing disc players, @dr*audio . Maybe shoot him a PM.
    And if you get any info, post it here.:thumbsup:

3. altecman

altecman Active Member

Thanks for that, will do :thumbsup:

KrisM likes this.
  4. Tim64

Tim64 Super Member

That laser assembly does not seem to be readily available unfortunately. You may have to dig deep to find one. I did find one site saying this is a the new oart number for a compatible laser.
    Substitute Part
    Yamaha WA874700

KentTeffeteller likes this.
  5. altecman

altecman Active Member

You think there would be a substitute somewhere as Yamaha wouldn't have made it themselves.

6. KrisM

KrisM Lunatic Member

A thought. Have you opened it up to see what drive it uses?
    Perhaps it's just a common computer drive and you can replace the whole thing? I no expert at this stuff, FWIW.
    I do know when I blew the hard drive in mine years ago the replacement was a simple computer drive. Fixed it just fine, and upped the storage too.

7. altecman

altecman Active Member

Next step will be to remove the CDR Mechanical Unit and do the Laserology thing to it, take some pics and hopefully have a good outcome. I read the Laserology article and was amazed that 99% of the time it's not the laser, unbelievable..:cool:

8. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

It apparently used the same laser assembly as one of the PC mount Yamaha branded AMQR CDRWs made around the same time.

Yamaha marketed and sold AMQR (audio master quality recording) drives for PCs- the unit in your 1300 is not the same, but the laser is. I have one of the 1300s too- but it is fine.

KentTeffeteller likes this.
  9. altecman

altecman Active Member

Good, we're getting more information coming in. But who made the laser, was it Philips?

10. altecman

altecman Active Member

Just cleaned the laser, same problem with the Check Disc error. One thing I did notice was that the CDRW motor spun up about 3 times trying to read cd, is that a good thing.

11. altecman

altecman Active Member

12. restorer-john

I would try to fix it, but that's me. I have a soft spot for those recorders- even though they are a nightmare on the UI side (stupid menu/display).

13. KrisM

KrisM Lunatic Member

I think I'm the same. I only use mine for recording concert stuff on FM and the odd vinyl needle-drop, though.
    The UI is bad in a funny 90s way, but I get by with the remote. Being able to chop up and cut live tracks down to 1/70th(I think?) of second on that thing so works for me. I know there are computer programs that do this better, but I like doing it on the Yamaha.

14. altecman

altecman Active Member

Now all you guru's out there check what has just happened now.
    I was reading the service manual and it was talking about the laser beam readjusting itself when copying. I thought gee, this might auto correct something, so I tried it, low and behold the cd was being copied. I then stopped it and then pressed play and bingo, music was being played. I tried another cd, this time it worked without trying to copy it first. When I tried it again it wouldn't read, so I tried to copy it and yes it worked but the sound was jittery when played. This happened once again and I had 2 that wouldn't read. In all 10 cd's worked. I bought this thing secondhand from Cash Converters, so who knows the history.
    What would cause this, would it just be a case of the cd drive not being played for awhile? Laser might need adjustment?
    Might have to get it serviced for a full assessment but gee I'm happy, thought I got a dud. :banana:

15. KrisM

KrisM Lunatic Member

Yay!
    I could be that it just need to be worked a bit?

Can I give you another tip, based on my experience?
    There's a fan that cools the hard drive. Something went funky in my unit and the fan stopped working. I ended up having the hard drive burn out. It actually got went to a local repair depot(who couldn't figure it out), and then to Yamaha(who couldn't figure it out). I ended up wiring up a simple wall-wart power supply to run the fan. The fan is fine, it's just whatever the heck powers/controls it.
    Anyway, make sure the fan kicks in after you've been running it for a bit.

16. Tim64

Tim64 Super Member

Clean and lube the guide rails could be a case of gummy grease.

17. restorer-john

Adjustment (APC laser power) is performed based on the media and happens at the start of the CDR recording. I don't think this is the issue, but gives us a clue.

Copying a CD, the machine really spins up the disc. Playing a CD, it spins much slower. I think you should try a tiny drop of lubricating oil right on the upper spindle motor sleeve bearing under the disc table- you may have bearing run-out on a dry sleeve bearing. Might be tricky to get to. While you are in there, lubricate the sled rails very sparingly.

18. altecman

altecman Active Member

Might have to try this when I'm keen to pull it out of the rack, what's the best oil top use for the bearing. Haven't played it for a week and a bit
    and now it's gone back to not reading or copying any cd's at all. Talk about frustrating:idea: