Yamaha CDR-HD1500 CDR drive replacement?

optimums

Hello all! Long time lurker, one of the best forums on the entire internet!!

I have a very nice Yamaha CDR-HD1500 CDR burning/HD recording unit that I absolutely love. I often rip my rarer LPs to the HDD so I can queue up "personal copies" without pulling out the vinyl everytime I want to hear them. The hard drive still works great (and from my understanding is a fairly easy upgrade, although I haven't changed mine out, maybe soon?) but the CDR drive is on it's last legs - it will not consistently play discs and won't burn discs at all at this point. I've tried the off the shelf "lens cleaners" but nothing has worked. I grabbed a random PC CDR drive out of my pile of gear to see if I could swap in any old drive and it's a no go. Anyone else have one of these units and have replaced the CDR drive?? Would love a list of compatible drives if such a thing exists. Any tips would be appreciated, big thanks :)

That Yamaha drive used the optional AMQR recording where it could create bigger pits/lands supposedly to offer better sound.

I know there were standalone burners (also Yamaha branded) that were available around 2002 or so with the AMQR option- perhaps the drives inside were similar to the 1300/e/1500.

I have a CDR-HD1300.

Is replacing the drive lens a possible solution? I'm still looking for a replacement drive but coming up very empty.

I love this player too and have a similar issue.

I had a quote here in Australia about a year ago. Yamaha still have replacement stock but it isn't cheap, I found a lightly used one on ebay for about $250 as a backup.

The authorised Yamaha repairer said "Yamaha came back to me today. Regards to CDR-HD1500 part is available from Japan, however will take up to 4 weeks to obtain it and cost including labour will come to around $1000.00." That's AUD

Hello all! Long time lurker, one of the best forums on the entire internet!!

I have a very nice Yamaha CDR-HD1500 CDR burning/HD recording unit that I absolutely love. I often rip my rarer LPs to the HDD so I can queue up "personal copies" without pulling out the vinyl everytime I want to hear them. The hard drive still works great (and from my understanding is a fairly easy upgrade, although I haven't changed mine out, maybe soon?) but the CDR drive is on it's last legs - it will not consistently play discs and won't burn discs at all at this point. I've tried the off the shelf "lens cleaners" but nothing has worked. I grabbed a random PC CDR drive out of my pile of gear to see if I could swap in any old drive and it's a no go. Anyone else have one of these units and have replaced the CDR drive?? Would love a list of compatible drives if such a thing exists. Any tips would be appreciated, big thanks :)
Hi there,
My unit has just failed, will not recognise any cd inside, process of illumination tells me the laser has failed.
Did you ever find a replacement drive that was compatible?

That Yamaha drive used the optional AMQR recording where it could create bigger pits/lands supposedly to offer better sound.

I know there were standalone burners (also Yamaha branded) that were available around 2002 or so with the AMQR option- perhaps the drives inside were similar to the 1300/e/1500.

I have a CDR-HD1300.
Hi there,
Did you by chance find any replacement drives for the CDR-HD1500? I am coming up dry. Tried a Sata cd drive with backward compatible connectors without much joy.
Regards
The Rings Master

Back
Top Bottom