Yamaha CDX-1120

I bought a CDX-1100U...

Sam:
Awesome find :yes: It looks like a black version of my CDX-2000, probably the same internals, so I can guarantee you will love the sound :D

251400.jpg

cdx-2000.JPG

BTW, when I obtained my CDX-2000, it had been in storage for too long, and the disc drive belt had stretched and needed replacement. It was fairly easy to replace. The folks at Yamaha corporate parts & service (Buena Park, CA) sold me the belt (part number: CB637830), and it might be the same for your unit. Let me know if you need any help replacing it.

Also, I have never tried it, but it appears that the line level volume feature on our units may be sufficient enough to drive an amp directly for the ultimate in sound purity.

Thanks Yamahalic for the P/N. New belt is in!

I tried my CDX-1100U on my main system in a CD-Direct configuration that bypasses my preamp. I could not hear a difference, which is a reflection of how good my Classe preamp is. The laser in my example seems to skip a little too easily in my high power setup so perhaps the isolation is not as good as it should be. To be fair, other CDP's also skip in sympathy with the bass.

I was able to compare the CDX-1100U sound to my Luxman D-109 / Aragon D2A DAC set. The Aragon, like the CDX features dual BB chips so I was keen to compare them. The CDX is definitely more laid back than the D2A. I wouldn't call it veiling but there is definitely less sizzle which depending on your taste could be a good thing. My main system is setup for accuracy so the CDX is not a good fit which surprised me as the speakers and amps are Yamaha.

I installed the CDX in my office system which is powered by a Marantz 1152DC. The skipping and shreiking has gone away. I think the voltage swings and SPL my main system is capable of must have made the CDX unstable. The sound seems to be a much better match. The music flow is really good and this system has a relaxing smoothness that makes for long listening sessions.

So, not a 100% scorecard but that's OK. The CDX-1100U is an interesting piece that I am happy to own.

The Yamaha CD-Ps are known to have a more analouge sound (vinyl) than most other CD-Ps. You can say it is part of the Natural Sound when Yamaha is trying to get rid of the sizzel sound, witch is a digital fingerprint of the sampelrate on a CD.

The laser in my example seems to skip a little too easily in my high power setup so perhaps the isolation is not as good as it should be. To be fair, other CDP's also skip in sympathy with the bass.

I installed the CDX in my office system which is powered by a Marantz 1152DC. The skipping and shreiking has gone away. I think the voltage swings and SPL my main system is capable of must have made the CDX unstable.
None of my Yammy CDP's have skipped or exhibited any feedback with either my Infinity Quantum 2's or Infinity IRS Delta's, even when played stupid loud. Could be something is wrong with your CDP, or perhaps there are some seriously bad standing waves in your listening room.

Also, I have never tried it, but it appears that the line level volume feature on our units may be sufficient enough to drive an amp directly for the ultimate in sound purity.

I run my Yammie changer without a pre-amp; I bought it specifically for the variable line-level out (in 1998!). I have replaced the belt that opens the drawer and rotates the platter a few times. Once, in a pinch, I realized that a hair elastic is exactly the right size - and the extra thickness and fabric sheathing of the elastic apparently helped it to last longer than the original.

Love those higher-end models though, I'm going to have to keep an eye out for one.:scratch2:

None of my Yammy CDP's have skipped or exhibited any feedback with either my Infinity Quantum 2's or Infinity IRS Delta's, even when played stupid loud. Could be something is wrong with your CDP, or perhaps there are some seriously bad standing waves in your listening room.

Good question. When I had the CDX in the shop, my tech was playing his diagnostic CD which has a track with excessive errors. Good lasers have no problem tracking but mine skipped a little. He put the laser on the scope and commented it was a little fuzzy and could use an adjustment. He also said it would play fine with clean CD's. Anyways, no problems in my office system. BTW, my main system is a multi-speaker and amp setup.

The Yamaha CD-Ps are known to have a more analouge sound (vinyl) than most other CD-Ps. You can say it is part of the Natural Sound when Yamaha is trying to get rid of the sizzel sound, witch is a digital fingerprint of the sampelrate on a CD.

I don't find the extra detail to be offensive, in fact I like what over-sampling does. Agreed, the CDX-1100U is more analog than any other CDP I've owned.

I run my Yammie changer without a pre-amp; I bought it specifically for the variable line-level out (in 1998!). I have replaced the belt that opens the drawer and rotates the platter a few times. Once, in a pinch, I realized that a hair elastic is exactly the right size - and the extra thickness and fabric sheathing of the elastic apparently helped it to last longer than the original.

Love those higher-end models though, I'm going to have to keep an eye out for one.:scratch2:

Removing the preamp can make a huge difference. The difference can be stunning, especially with poor performing preamps. IMO, the door drive and plastic tray are weaknesses considering the attention that went into the rest of the components. The cable pulley and metal tray in the higher end Sony's are superior.

The CDX-1100 shares laser (MLP-7)with the CDX-10000, so nothing bad about that one - maybe eccept replacement lasers are hard to find. The later monster CD-P's all came with a TAOHS-xxx laser, but it do seem that the TAOHS-DG1 can be used instead of the MLP-7.

About the DACs, the CDX-1120/2020 has dual Burr-Brown DACs pr. channel, 4 DAc's all in all.

When I talked to Yamaha they had some lasers they could retrofit into some of their higher end models. Its worth a call to one of the techs and parts guys to see what will work and what they have left.

I just sent an email to Yamaha Parts hoping to find a remote for my CDX-1120. However, I'm not holding my breath.

Mike

...I was able to compare the CDX-1100U sound to my Luxman D-109 / Aragon D2A DAC set.

I am curious, were you able to compare the sound in each of the following configurations:

1. CDX-1100U > D2A > amp (digital connect)
2. D-109 > D2A > amp (digital connect)
3. CDX-1100U > amp (bypass D2A)
4. D-109 > amp (bypass D2A)

My thinking is that the Yamaha DAC system has much better specs than the Luxman (below I quote my CDX-2000 which might be similar to your CDX-1100U), and that the Yamaha DACs might be comparable to your D2A? So, I wonder about comparing #1 above to #3 to see which results in the best Yamaha sound in your system, then compare the winner to the better of #2 & #4.

Yamaha CDX-2000
- S/N 118db
- Dynamic Range: >100dB
- Channel Separation > 100dB

Luxman D-109
- S/N 97db
- Dynamic Range: 96dB
- Channel Separation: 93dB

I am curious, were you able to compare the sound in each of the following configurations:

1. CDX-1100U > D2A > amp (digital connect)
2. D-109 > D2A > amp (digital connect)
3. CDX-1100U > amp (bypass D2A)
4. D-109 > amp (bypass D2A)

My thinking is that the Yamaha DAC system has much better specs than the Luxman (below I quote my CDX-2000 which might be similar to your CDX-1100U), and that the Yamaha DACs might be comparable to your D2A? So, I wonder about comparing #1 above to #3 to see which results in the best Yamaha sound in your system, then compare the winner to the better of #2 & #4.

Yamaha CDX-2000
- S/N 118db
- Dynamic Range: >100dB
- Channel Separation > 100dB

Luxman D-109
- S/N 97db
- Dynamic Range: 96dB
- Channel Separation: 93dB

Interesting comparo! I'll go through the combos and report back.

The CDX-1100U has a S/N of 115 dB, the other specs are the same.

Does anyone have any sense how these late 80s Yamaha CD players handle CD-Rs (burned discs)? A local Goodwill has a CDX-900u for $20 that I was considering picking up for my dad, but all he has are burned discs at this point in his life.

Should work OK..But I would take a couple along and try it..The price is right. I have a 930 that plays some CD-R's better than others. I have a 510u that will play whatever I stick in it..

Last edited:
My CDX-1100 plays CD-R's fine but some of the lighter shade (less reflective?) original artist CD's do not track very well.

Does anyone have any sense how these late 80s Yamaha CD players handle CD-Rs (burned discs)? A local Goodwill has a CDX-900u for $20 that I was considering picking up for my dad, but all he has are burned discs at this point in his life.

I've had a few older Yamaha CD players. I cannot recall all the model numbers but they never had problems playing CDRs

I just posted about my CDX-900 and am playing a CDR right now. Sounds great to me and loaded the disc like any other.

Back
Top Bottom