Yamaha cdx?

aidynphoenix I do not know the difference between the a and b model, but the kss210 is properly the most used laser and lots of them are for sale. So no reason for experiments, if you have problems finding any, PM me I have a few laying around.

But also try cleaning the laser head and the mecanics in the transport, It might just be dirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
BB, cool find! I have always loved the Titanium series from back then. I have a full set of TI units that was my first full system, great memories. My full-line brochure (USA) that has your unit in it also had many TI CDX units (7 in total) all apparently sold at the same time, here is the list:

CDX-2000
CDX-1120
CDX-1030
CDX-930
CDX-920
CDX-730
CDX-530

I guess that was the best time for the CD format.

Thanks! The more I use this machine the more I like it :music:

aidynphoenix I do not know the difference between the a and b model, but the kss210 is properly the most used laser and lots of them are for sale. So no reason for experiments, if you have problems finding any, PM me I have a few laying around.

But also try cleaning the laser head and the mecanics in the transport, It might just be dirt.

TY verrymuch Mandak!
now when you said cleaning the mecanics,, what does that involve? gears? the spaces between the lazer head and magnets or is that too risky?
i cleaned the lazer head with windex and q-tips already.. didnt change anything..

just poped thetop to take a looksie..
it has a kss150A as the origional..
any links available to where i can find or read detailed info about these units?
all i have sofar is this ebay listing *EDITED BY MODERATOR TO REMOVE EBAY LINK*

down in the list it shows the 530 as a 150a ? does that mean mine is a 530e?

Yes I would say so, the 530 use the KSS210A and the PCM61P DAC (x2). The 530e (europe I thought, but you're is 110v right?) use KSS150A and run the AD1860N DAC (x2).

But acording to this, the KSS210A can replace the KSS150A: *EDITED BY MODERATOR TO REMOVE EBAY LINK*

It seems to be confirmed that the the KSS150A is the same as the KSS210A: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/158453-sony-kss-152-replacement.html

thank you verry much for this info!
i poped a black dust cover off the top of each one..
the origional has a second lens under the (head?) moving lens. (KSS-150A)
that one i was able to clean verry well.

the replacement one. (Kss 210b ) didnt have that second lens. yet there was just a hole there leading in towards the actual lazer source. and all the area around it was dirty. so my guess was there was a decient ammout of stuff down in there. and i would need some kind of strange screwdriver to dissasemble it further..

so i am sticking with the origional for now.
after cleaning it verry thouroughly.. it does read discs faster!! :thmbsp:

but however it is still haveing some problems reading certain songs, and burnt discs.
also it sometimes wont skip into the next song.. yet it will go back to the previous and start playing midpoint into it.. :scratch2:
also there is a transistor thing inside that is getting DAMN! hot..

so i really dont know what to do next.. im not verry good with checking components and guessing what might be the possible cause of this issue..
so i think it might be best to just put it in a corner somewhere and keep a eye out for another cdp... :tears:
or keep useing it untill it breaks or starts smoking..

any ideas to what i can do to fix it? im willing to try again..

i also replaced some of the powersupply caps.. thinking maybe one of them was acting funny.. but nope!
whenever the motor really gets going and its doing alot of work and making noise the display gets a bit dimmer..
so i thought maybe a cap wasent giving enough power or something..
im guessing it might be a resistor or diode????
the difficult parts to check :sigh:

Last edited:
Yes I would say so, the 530 use the KSS210A and the PCM61P DAC (x2). The 530e (europe I thought, but you're is 110v right?) use KSS150A and run the AD1860N DAC (x2).

But acording to this, the KSS210A can replace the KSS150A: *EDITED BY MODERATOR TO REMOVE EBAY LINK*

It seems to be confirmed that the the KSS150A is the same as the KSS210A: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/158453-sony-kss-152-replacement.html

oh yea mine is 110v ver,,, however on the back it says exactly
Yamaha cdx-530.
theres no E or anything.. :scratch2: maybe this unit has been worked on before?

Also i feel like i am Hijacking here.. tomanny comments of mine in a row if simply MY problem.. i dont really think i am contributing to this thread..
can any comments in regard to my issue be put on my other thread over here please?

Thank You!!!
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=288056

Last edited:
Has anyone bought the MLP-7 pick-up for the 1100 and installed it? Did it work? I just ordered one from Electronix Corp. for only $22.75.

My CDX-1030 in Titanium and CDX-1060 in black:

DSC_1709.jpg

I was wondering if anyone has heard both the cdx-2000 and cdx-1060 and able to give a comparo brief on the 2.
Is the 2000 substantially better than the 1060 series??
Any thoughts welcome.

interesting Q since the 2000 was the "smallest" player out of the CDX-10000 family with outstanding build quality and the CDX-1060 is the "last" monster player from Yamaha. The really special thing about the CDX-1060 is the use of Yamaha's own DAC, it was first seen in the CDX-1050 but updated for the 1060. My gues is that the CDX-1060 is a toe ahead of the CDX-2000 regarding sound, depending if you like the different D/A convertion.

But I don't have the CDX-2000 so I can't say for sure.

Thanks for your views Mandak, i appreciate your points.

I guess it perhaps would not be feasable stepping up from the cdx-1060 to the cdx-2000 for what might be a minor gain or possibly a backward step sonically.

Perhaps one day i will have the pleasure of comparing the two should i stumble across 1 at the right price.

This vintage Yamaha stuff has become addictive..............

Well you can also go for a CDX-2020 in titanium, that one is also made in the special build quality and there are more of those around. Regarding sound the CDX-2020 use the PCM58P (2 pr. channel) where the CDX-2000 use the older PCM56P (1 pr. channel), so again an upgrade compaired to the CDX-2000.

A thing also to note is that even I say the CDX-1050 was the first time Yamaha used one of there own DAC's, Yamaha was by no means new in digital audio. Since the late 60's Yamaha has been one of the leders in digital audio.

I'm so pleased with the sound of my 1060. As long as it stays reliable I'll have an exquisite sounding digital front end.

I was wondering if anyone has heard both the cdx-2000 and cdx-1060 and able to give a comparo brief on the 2.
Is the 2000 substantially better than the 1060 series??
Any thoughts welcome.

I would be interested to hear these two together. I have the rare CDX-2000 unit myself and it is the best CDP I have ever heard. I have noticed that the CDX 2k/5k/10k CDP units all have what I would call "audiophile" level components in their build, some of which have never been used again in subsequent units. Subsequent TOTL units such as the 1060 started to go in a different direction, using newer tech in place of some of the audiophile type touches, so my guess is that any of these CDPs will sound great on most any system, and that "system" being used to test the CDP may actually determine which will sound better. I have read many (too many) Stereophile articles in this area, mainly stating the audible differences in electronics and support products of good systems (combo of speakers, wires, interconnects, power cables, unit mounting and location, etc.).

Interestingly, I have a USA brochure that shows both the CDX 2000 and CDX 1060 at the same time. Both have incredible specs, but go about their business in different ways. How much sound quality is imparted by the CDX 2000's "Ultra High Capacity Power Supply with 3 Independent Transformers" versus the CDX 1060's "A/D Independent Coil Power Transformers"? Or, we might compare the power cables of each, or the weight, or the DACs as many like to do? Or, do we compare the sound of each as a CDP (analog outputs) or a transport (digital outputs)? I always question any head-to-head comparison myself as there just are too many factors involved to really know for sure with units like these.

I'm so pleased with the sound of my 1060. As long as it stays reliable I'll have an exquisite sounding digital front end.

I must say i strongly agree with you.

The sound is 'natural' with a bass (perhaps not the right word) overtone, unlike alot of others which seem to project their detail by being bright.

In terms of reliability, i think its a testament to its engineering and build qaulity that if not abused, will have many more years of hassle free service.

Im relatively new to all this but the bug has screwed me. My front end system comprises of Yamaha CA-1010 amp, CDX-1060, and Celestion Ditton 25s speakers which are all mint and in total cost me under $500.

Not 'audiophile' by any means, but a hard sound to beat for its price.............
and that vintage yammy WOW factor !

Interestingly, I have a USA brochure that shows both the CDX 2000 and CDX 1060 at the same time.

That is interesting since the CDX-1060 came much later, here in Europe the CDX-2020 stayed in the market all the way to the end of the "monsters". On the other hand we never got the CDX-2000.

I always question any head-to-head comparison myself as there just are too many factors involved to really know for sure with units like these.

Not really, it all comes down to 2 (maybe 3) different ways of listening (on the same support system);
1. (and most important!) as a whole, analog out. It's a CD-P, not a transport or power supply. Upgrades can be done to most CD-Ps, but that is in the tweek department not for "of the shelfe" comparison.
2. Most highend CD-P has a digital out so they can be used as transports, this makes it fair to compair the transport of the different players. But the result is only about the transport, not about the CD-P in a whole and only for people who use external DACs.
3. (and maybe) If you wish to be really pickey about it, you have to include the program you listen to. as with most speakers the CD-Ps also have there strong and weak sides in regards to program, but this only matters to users who exclusively listne to one kind of program material (like classic music or jazz). Most users have a greater mix of program and therefor needs a more overall perspective regarding the CD-P's capability of handling different program matriale and therefor this 3. kind of "testing" dossen't really matter to most users. Of curse allwayes use the music you normaly listen to when you test, don't start playing clasic music (or heavy metal) for testing if you never play it in normal listning.

You can always learn something new, but do alwayes trust you're ears. Don't get fooled by shiny cables or fancy rewives by people you don't know, rewives are only guides to what you might wish to check out when shopping - they are never final judgment. If a CD-P sounds fantastic to you, then it do not mater what is inside.

Last edited:
You can always learn something new, but do alwayes trust you're ears. Don't get fooled by shiny cables or fancy rewives by people you don't know, rewives are only guides to what you might wish to check out when shopping - they are never final judgment. If a CD-P sounds fantastic to you, then it do not mater what is inside.

Words of wisdom...Hearing is believing, believing without hearing is gambling.

That is interesting since the CDX-1060 came much later, here in Europe the CDX-2020 stayed in the market all the way to the end of the "monsters". On the other hand we never got the CDX-2000.

Oops, I made an error (so much for my memory), my brochure shows the CDX-2020 and the CDX-1060 at the same time. The CDX-2000 was around for a very short time, I suspect the cost/price of the CDX-10/5/2k units was too high for very much sales, so Yamaha could only carry them for a short time.

It is interesting the transition made between the CDX-10/5/2k units, the CDX-1030/50/60 units, and more recently the CD-S2000. On average, the weight of these units decreased over time, perhaps partially related to the shedding of some of the audiophile design concepts Yamaha implemented in the past, being replaced with lower weight technical advancements. In general though, these units all well represent well the Yamaha ideal of "Natural Sound".

Back
Top Bottom