Yamaha cdx?

Has anyone bought the MLP-7 pick-up for the 1100 and installed it? Did it work? I just ordered one from Electronix Corp. for only $22.75.

I too, am awaiting a reply on that, and would like to know if a new laser would correct the mistracking and random HYPERSPINNING of the disc that mine does on occasion, so much in fact that there are GROOVES in the tray where the cd nearly flies out the damn front.

PUH-LEASE someone let us know..:D

I too, am awaiting a reply on that, and would like to know if a new laser would correct the mistracking and random HYPERSPINNING of the disc that mine does on occasion, so much in fact that there are GROOVES in the tray where the cd nearly flies out the damn front.

PUH-LEASE someone let us know..:D

I am still waiting on my order. It's been a month now.......

Yamaha CD-5050,cost new?

Hi all,

Picked up a yamaha CD-5050 recently, just an awesome player. However, I can find no information anywhere regarding cost new, period of manufacture etc. Any info out there?

Thanks

Mat

Wow I started this thread 4 years ago. Well my cdx-1110u sounded FANTASTIC...but never could get the transport door to open, and it would not play cdr's so I retired it, until today. Fixed the transport door by defeating the magnet on the arm that holds the cd down. just used a small piece of medical tape. Opens great. Only after it simply stopped reading cd's only very intermittently. So I yanked the tape off.....to no avail. Must need alignment or a new laser. Soo....do the new lasers work? Are the lasers for the 1100 the same as the 1110u? I MISS MY YAMAHAAAAA! To anyone who has used the 1110u had any luck with any of the other yamahas sounding as fu@#*ing perfect as this one?

Hi ojom I kind of took the thread to my heart and thought that it would be nice to have all the CDX info in one thread.

About the CDX-1110 it uses the TAOHS-HGI head and the 1100 uses the MLP-7, so not the same laser. If you wish to try a "newer" one then many have reported well about the CDX-1060 (last of the big ones and with a Yamaha DAC). There is also a Europe only named CDX-993 from year 1998 (I use that one at my daily player) and of curse there is also the "new" CD-S2000 SACD player with the same build quality as the old 80's players.

About the new lasers, there has only been one statement about using the MLP-7 clone in a Yamaha CD-P. And that is the one in this thread - most are still waiting for the heads to be delivered.

Thanks alot....I was actually thinking about one of these....Yamaha DVD-S1800BL(I just wonder if they have the same magic...?). Just because it can be hard to source terrific older players. Thought I might look around for and older sony..would love to have a (LAMPIZATORIZED one)

Last edited:
Nice post... interesting !
smileyhappy.ico

improvement?

I know this is an old thread, but.....

I've read all sorts of stuff from many sources about the improvements in CD players over the years - oversampling, 96khz, 192khz, better DAC's etc etc. I am very used to listening to music and have been listening to digital sources since they were introduced. These days I run a small recording studio (after 2 decades as a professional producer working at some of the very best studios in the UK)

I have a few cd players, Sony 502ES, Yamaha CDX 1100, Philips CD 840, and a DVD player by Toshiba which has been very highly rated for its sonic qualities. All the older players sound better than the Toshiba - more full bodied and more tonally accurate. The differences between the 3 dedicated CD players are very small sonically.

I recently auditioned a Rega Apollo and a Cambridge Audio 840CD at home, through my own system, for a few days. These are highly rated more modern machines, the Cambridge being at the top limit of what I wanted to pay for an improvement over my already excellent sounding machines.

Rather than their being a 'night and day' difference between these new machines and the older ones, there was barely any difference at all. Both were slightly brighter sounding than my old players, but not in a pleasant way, and the Rega lacked control of the bass compared to all the other players. There was no 'lifting of a veil' or huge improvement in soundstage at all. These were blind listening tests conducted by my long suffering but (thankfully) musical wife.

I am listening through a fabulous system, with vintage but amazing speakers (Kef Cantata 3 way floorstanders with an exceptionally flat response). These speakers easily and explicitly show up the most miniscule differences in the sound of the various different amps I have.

So...I'm not sure about the progress that has been made with the CD format. If you forget about specs, sampling frequencies and supposedly better DACs and use your ears, then good old stuff is at least the equal of modern stuff IMHO. I will not be spending £700 to gain a little more (an absolutely fractional amount) of top end at the expense of tonal depth and warmth.

I'll shut up now.

I've read all sorts of stuff from many sources about the improvements in CD players over the years - oversampling, 96khz, 192khz, better DAC's etc etc. I am very used to listening to music and have been listening to digital sources since they were introduced. These days I run a small recording studio (after 2 decades as a professional producer working at some of the very best studios in the UK)

I have a few cd players, Sony 502ES, Yamaha CDX 1100, Philips CD 840, and a DVD player by Toshiba which has been very highly rated for its sonic qualities. All the older players sound better than the Toshiba - more full bodied and more tonally accurate. The differences between the 3 dedicated CD players are very small sonically.

I recently auditioned a Rega Apollo and a Cambridge Audio 840CD at home, through my own system, for a few days. These are highly rated more modern machines, the Cambridge being at the top limit of what I wanted to pay for an improvement over my already excellent sounding machines.

Rather than their being a 'night and day' difference between these new machines and the older ones, there was barely any difference at all. Both were slightly brighter sounding than my old players, but not in a pleasant way, and the Rega lacked control of the bass compared to all the other players. There was no 'lifting of a veil' or huge improvement in soundstage at all. These were blind listening tests conducted by my long suffering but (thankfully) musical wife.

I am listening through a fabulous system, with vintage but amazing speakers (Kef Cantata 3 way floorstanders with an exceptionally flat response). These speakers easily and explicitly show up the most miniscule differences in the sound of the various different amps I have.

So...I'm not sure about the progress that has been made with the CD format. If you forget about specs, sampling frequencies and supposedly better DACs and use your ears, then good old stuff is at least the equal of modern stuff IMHO. I will not be spending £700 to gain a little more (an absolutely fractional amount) of top end at the expense of tonal depth and warmth.

I'll shut up now.

Controversial opinion, but I agree.

Controversial opinion? We were told that cd's and Ipod's would be the end of
first, vinyl, then cassettes, etc....and I still listen to vinyl. Cassettes, not so much.

I agree, tho. I heard a 1000 dollar Oppo that was modded out the wazoo, owned by a doctor friend. I think he was asking 800 for it, and it sounded very "squeaky clean" but not necessarily enjoyable. I took it home, and returned it with no regrets.

Yamaha CDX-1100u is my gal, funky habits and all (random track leaps, motor making bizarre noises) and it sounds better, more musical, than anything I've heard yet. :thmbsp:

So...I'm not sure about the progress that has been made with the CD format.

I think Yamaha gave up on improving the CD-P after the CDX-993 (year 1998), that was the last of the big CD-P's. The DAC they used in the 993 (YAC-514F) was already used in the CDX-880 (year 1994, DAC YAC-514).

But there have been progress, upamp's, clock and the conversion. The key is the as you properly know from youre years in the studio, the analoge part of the player. There is no way around a good analoge design with quality parts to back it up, that is the main key to why the old monsters still can keep up today.

Not until Yamaha came with the SACD-P the CD-S2000, did Yamaha make an atempt on improving a player and that was mainly aimed on the SACD.

You might wish to check that one out.

Hello everyone,

I am just wondering, anyone manage to get this laser unit and install on CDX-1100? I just want to know is this laser pickup better than what I purchase years back from Hungary.

thanks.

I'll shut up now.

Yeah.

I brought a BelCanto DAC3 home and currently have it converting the 0s and 1s coming out of my ~1993 CDX-750 (my main CDP for the last 18 years). This is a modern, premium DAC listing for probably 10x what I originally paid for my CDX new.

Since the outputs on the 750 all function at the same time, it's easy to A/B the onboard DAC with the BelCanto.

Having said all of that, there's very little difference between the two. Astonishingly little difference. I was really ready to have my socks knocked off, but no dice. I had no idea that these Yamaha players were so competent.

This doesn't rule out the possibility of the BelCanto shining more brightly with a different transport, of course.

FWIW, system is: CDX-750 > DAC > C-J PV11 > C-J Premier Eleven > Dahlquist DQM-9Cs with Regnar upgrades.

EDIT: hooked up a Sony BD-series bluray player to serve as a CD transport, and it was a noticeable improvement. Noticeable enough to relegate the CDX to the closet. Huh.

Last edited:
My main players are both cdx's; a 1030 and a 1060. Simply put, they sound excellent and so stay in the rack.

Mine is Yamaha CDX870.Is a beuatiful top from Yamaha from early of the '90s era.
I like the sound, first is very, very musical. Very well balanced, and consistent. The player has good components inside:tresbon:, has cca 5 kg... and look like have a good resistence in time ; Proof is mine still sealed on bolts, never have been changed components, and still does great job.:tresbon:

Long time since I have been in here, but just ran into some interesting (bonus) info regarding Yamahas choice of DACs.

I was digging around to find info on a "new" machine I bought, the Lexicon M300 reverb. To any who don't know about reverbs, the top Lexicon reverbs are in the absolute top of professional reverbs. The most known and used model is the 480L, the sound is on hundreds and hundreds of hits around the world (it's still a studio standard this day). But inside I found they use the same DAC's as Yamaha was using in there top CD-P models, the Yamaha CD-2 has the PCM53JP - same as the Lexicon 480L, the monster lineup from Yamaha with the CDX-10000, 5000, 2000 and 1110 all use the PCM56J-k - same as the Lexicon M300.

It's nice to know that when 2 top audio companies’s where looking for the best DAC at that time, they got to the same result.

dac chips`

Please remember that having the same dac chip does not mean they will necessarily sound the same. There are lots of other factors that will affect the sound post conversion such as opamps used for filtering and buffering and the quality of them including the capacitors. I have compared sound quality with the stock opamps 5532/5523, 5570 and so on with mainly Burr Brown (now TI) OPA series. The OPA-627 is a superb opamp that I put only in very high end cd players. I once owned a couple of 1000 series Yamahas and they sounded very very solid.

I can only agree with you, the quality of the clock and the analogue stage is vital to the sound you will hear.

But when 2 top players, one in the pro audio industry and one in the consumer market set out to build the ultimate machine in there field. Then it can not be bad when they chose to start with the same platform, the BB PCM53JP and PCM56J-K where the best at there time.

Yamaha CDX-1120 laser pickup TAOHS-HG1

Anybody selling a TAOHS-HG1 laser or maybe were to look for one.
I seem to be out of luck. Help! Please!

Back
Top Bottom