Yamaha Centennial System Complete!

AFP1

Last week my son picked up an MX2000 amplifier in Birmingham Mi. Last Friday he tracked down the Cx2000 preamp and Tx2000 tuner at a record shop in Dearborn. Someone replaced the button covers on the preamp with contact paper and glued the power button upside down on the tuner, but at least they exist! I’m using them until he gets back in town from College. Hopefully, he’s not in a rush to come home. Anyhow, if anyone knows a source for the button covers, feel free to chime in, as the woodgrain contact paper is just a tad too ghetto fabulous for his refined tastes.

Attachments

• 61AFF149-07D2-4E4E-8EAD-4F07E6A1AA67.jpeg
    61AFF149-07D2-4E4E-8EAD-4F07E6A1AA67.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 127
  • AA10D46B-3570-48AE-A32C-2BDEB6886A4E.jpeg
    AA10D46B-3570-48AE-A32C-2BDEB6886A4E.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 114
very nice system!
about the buttons..I do not get it..when the damn aluminum buttons fail off. what do ppl do with them..just throw them in the garbage? so many of these CX1k,2k without buttons. tears
I cannot suggest what to do. I had one missing on my cx-1k and I waited a couple of years until I found an original. The original buttons have some thickness to them and are made of aluminum. A simple piece of thin plastic will not cut it.

Last edited:
Yes, I was thinking the same thing, why on God’s green earth would someone pitch the originals and then put on woodgrain contact paper? And just how does someone re-glue the power button on the tuner upside down? I guess H.L. Mencken was right when he said “No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

Oops sorry, I didn’t realize that, thanks for the information. Time to send my son back out in search of the real centennial system! The kid loves a challenge!

Nah, he’s the son of s salesman, it won’t take as much cash as you might think. The kid is a brutal negotiator, he even makes me wince a little sometimes when he drops the hammer at the close of a deal. What do you guys think about buying some 1/16” flat stock, putting a brushed texture on it, and then spraying on a tinted lacquer finish for the button covers?

Nah, he’s the son of s salesman, it won’t take as much cash as you might think. The kid is a brutal negotiator, he even makes me wince a little sometimes when he drops the hammer at the close of a deal. What do you guys think about buying some 1/16” flat stock, putting a brushed texture on it, and then spraying on a tinted lacquer finish for the button covers?
I would say the 1/16 aluminum should be more like 1/8, to match the stock buttons.

Glad to hear to hear about the negotiation skills of your son. He has my vote of confidence based on what I see,, but at $30k+ for a centennial set, he will have lot of negotiation to do...Finding a set for sale will be a challenge of its own...

You are so right, rare as hen’s teeth, but nothing wrong with setting ones sights high I guess! Are the original button covers aluminum or plastic?

You are so right, rare as hen’s teeth, but nothing wrong with setting ones sights high I guess! Are the original button covers aluminum or plastic?
Anodized aluminum in the CX 1k, look like clear coated aluminum on the 2k,
With little elbow grease, should not be to hard to make them.
Good luck!

Thanks for all your help. My buddy is a car painter, says he can tint the lacquer and get the color right. We shall see, I’ll keep you guys informed on the progress.

Last week my son picked up an MX2000 amplifier in Birmingham Mi. Last Friday he tracked down the Cx2000 preamp and Tx2000 tuner at a record shop in Dearborn. Someone replaced the button covers on the preamp with contact paper and glued the power button upside down on the tuner, but at least they exist! I’m using them until he gets back in town from College. Hopefully, he’s not in a rush to come home. Anyhow, if anyone knows a source for the button covers, feel free to chime in, as the woodgrain contact paper is just a tad too ghetto fabulous for his refined tastes.
Awesome! That amp is beautiful
May I ask what you recommend to reglue the buttons on with

The missing buttons are often found under the rack or in the vacuum cleaner bag. ;)

Every CX-2000 I've seen on the bay has that button missing. Were they stuck on at the factory with soy sauce? SMH. Must be some heat going on inside...and another reason I don't stack components on top of each other. Maybe yamaha designed buttons falling off as a heat warning system. Lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom