Yamaha Component System Active Servo Technology YST-NC1k YST-NC1c YST-SNC1

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by MultiVintage, May 19, 2017.

1. MultiVintage

MultiVintage New Member

I sold this unit to someone. Had tested before selling and all seemed to work and sound fine. When they received it, found that only the treble sound and no bass is coming from the speakers. When headphones are used, the sound is fine. He said it is not an equalizer issue. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Raynald

Raynald AK Subscriber Subscriber

Is the seller using the original Yamaha speakers? He said it is not an EQ issue but the only thing I can think of is he is not using YST speakers so the bass response will be off.

3. MultiVintage

MultiVintage New Member

I'll ask him, but I'm quite sure he's using the original Yamaha speakers. He's given every indication that he is. Funny thing that when he hooks headphones into the jack, sounds fine through headphones. Is it true that it takes less power to drive the bass in the headphones than to drive the bass in the Air Woofers?

4. Raynald

I would guess the heaphone out is somehow EQ'ed to be flat as it was meant to work with any standard headphone.

It does not actually take much power to drive the YST speakers, that is the whole point IIRC. They uses the resonance frequency of the speaker where a little input will give a lot of output. Of course if you use a different speaker then you have a little input doing very little.

If he is using the proper speakers, has everything hooked up properly, in phase and all the controls are properly set (including YST On/Off?) there seem to be two obvious possibilities:

1) Broken speakers. He could try testing them on another system, they won't sound quite right but at least he can rule out blown or broken woofers or bad crossover.

2) Something wrong with the amp post headphone out. Again, trying other speakers will not give a great result but he may be able to get an idea.

5. MultiVintage

MultiVintage New Member

Thanks. Would you mind if I copy and paste your information and send it to him?

6. MultiVintage

MultiVintage New Member

Buyer says lower than 4khz is not being heard. Volume is normal but no lower frequencies heard. All equalizer readings are normal across entire spectrum. Thinks issue may be amp?

7. Raynald

Sounds more like woofers not working.

8. John Barron

John Barron New Member

Wow it's a small world.

It's both of the air woofers on both of the YST-SNC1 speakers with no bass, low notes, or anything below approximately 2kHz and i hooked them up to my M60/C85 and it was the same thing except right away the amp clipped three times within about 20 seconds they clip also on the itself YST-NC1 when i begin turning up the volume on the treble saturated sound.

These speakers are designed to work on an amp with an output impedance possessing a negative resistance value. There's a warning in the manual don't use
    any speakers but the YST-SNC1's. I guess i sort of understand why now don't amps usually have an impedance output of 8 ohms, etc...that's related to impedance or the resistance of the woofers? Something like that. Sorry this is new to me but i'm picking a lot of things up.

9. John Barron

John Barron New Member

I haven't found a YST on/off switch.

I don't know anything about getting them into phase. I was looking at a YST sub manual earlier and it mentioned something about low volume could be a symptom of the sub being out of phase.

What's the amp post out?

I posted all pictures in my post.

10. MultiVintage

MultiVintage New Member

Yes, small world. Please keep me informed.