Yamaha CR-1020 Relay Issue

Bluhn321

Hockey: Making dentists rich since 1875
Hello all,

I have a Yamaha cr-1020 that has a problem that I just can't figure out. So the main issue is that the protection replay won't click on and therefore no sound. I have replaced the relay but without success. It does power up fine and nothing blows up. Any tips on what to check next?

Thanks!

Hello Bluhn321

It is the first thing to do if your relay is not actived . Do you have DC offset (or worse DC voltage ) at the output of each power output PCB between tag O and E ?
Take a look on my drawing if you don't know where to look

Attachments

• CR1020-bias-adjustment.JPG
    CR1020-bias-adjustment.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 113
Alright so I did find a problem. The right board had a measurement of about 5mv but the left board had almost 50v!

Well I checked the two output transistors and they both seem to be working fine. Just used my multimeter to check them so not sure if that would give a 100% correct conclusion.

Yourv relay will not work if you have 50V DC . This is the power transistor voltage , so one should be bad (E and C in short circuit )

Checked the fuses and they check out good.

Hm, well it makes sense. Just to be sure one is PNP and the other is NPN?

you could check the voltages on the outputs cases to see if that could be the problem .cases are collectors . base and emitter are the pins . see how they are offset . bases should be about 0.6v + or - . emitters near 0v .
to3.gif

Yep checked it and it checks out good again. Even though they seem to be OK I'm thinking of replacing them anyways.

Alright so I did find a problem. The right board had a measurement of about 5mv but the left board had almost 50v!
Absolutely sure you were on the correct test point ? If so, then you have a issue somewhere on that amp assy. thats holding and output transistor at rail voltage.Could be anything in the front end of that amplifier including cold solder connections.

I checked the two points shown in the picture.

thats holding and output transistor at rail voltage

That's what I was thinking. I'll have a look at schematic and see what could have went wrong.

Attachments

• CR1020-bias-adjustment.JPG
    CR1020-bias-adjustment.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 52
now try black meter probe on bare chassis and red on the transistor cases one by one and see what their voltages are ..noting whether positive or negative .

Alright so I got that transistor 2sb544 had -50.5v DC and the other had 50.5v DC

I got -45mv DC for transistor 2sb544 and -60v DC for transistor 2sd424

Back
Top Bottom