Yamaha CR-1040

Bodyblue

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
20190215_171109.jpg My Yamaha arrived today and the first thing I noticed about is that the freaking thing is HEAVY. I went to pick up the box on the porch and went flying over it like one of the Three Stooges picking up an anvil!

The next thing I noticed is that is is WIDE. With the RS2007 and 979 on my stand in the bedroom there was no room for my SACD changer for now.

And the most important thing is that the dumb thing sounds very sharp and clear and has a huge amount of headroom. I gave the rebuilt KLHs a bit of a shakedown and my eyelids are still fluttering! I can imagine that very detailed speakers would have to be tamed a bit but the KLHs are a great match for the Yamaha clarity.

The unit seems to be well built but not exceptionally so. The low contrast printing is rather hard to see in low light and the OEM lamps are dim. I prefer the less brushed metal look but overall a handsome receiver. Nice, nice, not thrilling but nice.

20190215_184626.jpg 20190215_184145.jpg 20190215_184131.jpg 20190215_181900.jpg

Last edited:
I did notice after playing with it a bit more that the FM tuning seems to have a narrow band of reception. It tunes the station but get off center and it's gone real quick. Seems to sound pretty good though. A cool feature is that one of the meters can be switched to show FM signal strength

I did notice after playing with it a bit more that the FM tuning seems to have a narrow band of reception. It tunes the station but get off center and it's gone real quick. Seems to sound pretty good though. A cool feature is that one of the meters can be switched to show FM signal strength
You may also notice that in the "Distant" setting, the Blend led come on, and the Separation is not as good, as when you have the switch set to local, where the blend goes out, and the left and right separation becomes much more apparent. Local is what I prefer.

You may also notice that in the "Distant" setting, the Blend led come on, and the Separation is not as good, as when you have the switch set to local, where the blend goes out, and the left and right separation becomes much more apparent. Local is what I prefer.

Hmmm I could not find any of those settings..

Sorry. The switch I am referring to is the IF mode push button switch (4th from the far right on the bottom. Is has the option of Auto or local. Putting on headphones, you will really hear the difference.

Sorry. The switch I am referring to is the IF mode push button switch (4th from the far right on the bottom. Is has the option of Auto or local. Putting on headphones, you will really hear the difference.

Ahh found it! What does 'Blend" mean or do?

I will take some under the hood pic a bit later on....some of the pots need a quick clean. My step son is here today so he can carry the freaking thing out to the table.

The selector pots are mounted mid chassis and connected by rods and u joints to the knobs.....seems a bit strange. The power supply is a monster for sure.

20190216_104240.jpg 20190216_104212.jpg 20190216_104140.jpg 20190216_104119.jpg 20190216_104020.jpg 20190216_104002.jpg

Actually after I got through cleaning the pots, I turned off the FM muting and that was the problem. It is really sensitive evidently. It does have a four gang tuner and pulls things in fairly well.

Last edited:
Well after drowning every pot in deoxit the Yamaha is working perfectly. I am really tempted to drag out the Pioneer CS 88s and see how it drives them but my back needs a few days of rest first.

Really nice Bodyblue. Enjoy the music!. How do you like the RS graphic equalizer? Had one, The expander effect was nice.

Nice Yamaha.I went through a slew of vintage 70s receivers and settled on Yamaha.Had a near mint 2020 with all original packing but it started developing problems so off it went.Yamaha is or was for me an acquired taste but once I got it I never looked back.Now it is all post 2000 totl Yamahas that run my main systems.I will be curious if you move this one on or will it stay.IMO they work best with warmer speakers.

Nice Yamaha.I went through a slew of vintage 70s receivers and settled on Yamaha.Had a near mint 2020 with all original packing but it started developing problems so off it went.Yamaha is or was for me an acquired taste but once I got it I never looked back.Now it is all post 2000 totl Yamahas that run my main systems.I will be curious if you move this one on or will it stay.IMO they work best with warmer speakers.

Using with warmer speakers is the first thing I thought of. I can't wait to hear them with the CS 88s.

I dont care for how it looks really and the vinyl wrapped case sucks for such an expensive when new model

But it is an ass kicker for sure. I am pretty sure it will be staying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom