Yamaha CR-2020 bad power supply

bulle54

I recently had my CR-2020 repaired. The tuner needed a new cable and the entire unit needed a good cleaning. When I got the receiver and took it home, the unit powered up, but I could not get sound. I took it back to the repair shop and was informed that the Power supply was gone. (he gave me an estimate of $50 for parts, but did not recommend taking a chance)

Question-Is there any hope to this receiver, or is it a "boat anchor"?

Thanks for any input...

So it was working before you had it "repaired" apart from the tuner and cleaning? Or was it already broken (no sound)?

And when you say the unit powers up but no sound - do you mean the lights turn on when you power up but there is no relay click?
If that is the case then I would say your power supply is fine, but there may be a more sinister issue. More info will help

Either way, I highly doubt it's a boat anchor - you're in good hands here - just that it might take some patience to diy, or a better repairman to fix.

So it was working before you had it "repaired" apart from the tuner and cleaning? Or was it already broken (no sound)?

And when you say the unit powers up but no sound - do you mean the lights turn on when you power up but there is no relay click?
If that is the case then I would say your power supply is fine, but there may be a more sinister issue. More info will help

Either way, I highly doubt it's a boat anchor - you're in good hands here - just that it might take some patience to diy, or a better repairman to fix.

Yes. it was working.....

I hear the relay click

This unit is particularly infamous for literary frying the circuit boards of the power supply section.
Besides a few parts in there that would need replacement indeed, it is 90% likely that the boards are beyond repair by an average repair shop (more likely to do a severe bad repair, probably causing even more trouble later).

I am currently rebuilding (mechanically reconstruction actually) one of those burned out CR-2020 boards, and it involves epoxy repair, special rivets and then rebuilding the thing in a way that the problem won't happen easily again. It takes many manhours, and quite some skills and special tools.

If the repair shop quotes $50 in parts, then they are probably thinking of replacing the four troublesome resistors as per special CR-2020 service bulletin ($20 in parts / $30 in labour).
The thing is that the these resistors burn serious holes inside the board, something which becomes only visible when the board is removed (you can't see it when assembled).
So there is a big risk that the shop will call you halfway the job, quoting either a lot of extra hours or stating unrepairable.
Worse case they try something quick and ugly and tell you nothing.....

Yes, it is repairable, but you need to find somebody who knows about this particular unit and who does the right kind of repairs.....
In some weeks time I will post my repair journey.
And it has been a journey.....
If I was a commercial repair shop, the manhour count would be in the $500 zone

I would add that a proper power supply rebuilt of that board it will cost way more than $50

Indeed. I am replacing all parts, except for the two large dual rectifier diodes, and I am at around $80 for that board alone.
The larger regulator board yet to follow.

FWIW, the one I had, had simply lost contact on some of the big power supply resistors due to overheating. They unsolder themselves.

It is a bit of work digging into the power supply and while in there, it makes sense to do a decent rebuild.

I doubt a shop can do it for $50, but perhaps labor is cheap and the shop is cheap to run.

I recommend you seek a vintage gear tech to do a proper repair and rebuild.

I've done a couple of these as well as the 1020 which is similar. $50 won't cover very much in damages basically like others said the resistors and the labor, after that probably a few transistors in the power supply some capacitors and reflowing all the solder joints. Probably $200+ in parts and labor. Kinda like taking your car in and changing a $5 part and paying $100 for labor.

OK... Thanks for all the replies....The technician told me $50 in parts and then told me the labor to repair the power supply would make it a fairly costly repair. He recommended not to do it.
So....Here is the big question.......I live in Vermont and the availibilty of "vintage gear tech" does not appear to be local.

Does anyone have any East Coast repair shops that may take on this epic repair?
I really love this receiver and have owned it from the '70's...

Back
Top Bottom