Yamaha CR-2020 is finally here!

Highfire

All that praying to the epray gods produced tangible results. I finally received the Yamaha, and it's in fantastic condition! What a freaking boat this thing is. I had built a rack out of some all-thread and birch plywood I had lying around and the damn thing barely fit. As for the sound, I'll let you all read fluffy bulls**t praise from some audiophile. As for me, I love it, and so does the wife. We both much prefer the sound of the Yamaha to the NAD C320bee it replaced. The NAD is now sitting in a back bedroom, not even plugged in, to rot in black plastic crap hell.

To round out my new old system, I picked up a non-functional 1984 vintage Yamaha CD-X2 cd player for free. Five dollars in belts and, whamo, this little player plays again. For speakers, I took a gamble and responded to an add on CL for some homemade speakers with dayton parts. Went to listen to these speakers at this wild eyed mad scientists house and bought them after an hour of comparing his homemade speakers with the others he had in his living room. Totally blew away the PSB T5's and B&W 684's I had auditioned in home. I had heard and loved the Vandersteen 2c's, which this guy also owned. And I'll be damned if his homemade speakers weren't better. $175 felt like robbery, but I'm not above near theft when stereo equipment is involved. They may not be name brand, but I kinda like not being a brand whore, except when it comes to Yamaha gear!

For the money spent, I could well be happy with this setup for a long time.

Enjoy your new reciever, The Yamaha **20 and **40 series are some very fine sounding pieces. My CR2040 is going nowhere, and will be the core of my vintage system for many years to come. A pic would be nice!
Regards,
Jim

Congratulations on your CR-2020....Wonderful receiver!

I have the Euro version; the difference: multiple voltage capabilities and the wooden case only cover three sides and is even with the alu front.

Last edited:
Wow your wife loved it,thats awesome my wife thinks all my gear is junk.Enjoy more than your new receiver.

Congratulations on the 2020!

I've got the 1020 and am very happy with it, I think the only difference is a few watts...

The big Yammy's of that era are sweet. (Little ones too, for that matter.) Its also cool to hear about those DIY Daytons. I've been eyeing some of their drivers and wondered about the quality. Give us a more in depth review sometime, if you feel like it.

Congrats on the getting the CR-2020!

I have a CR-1020, got it about a month ago and LOVE it!

got a 2020 on the bench for a flaky right channel, but it sounds great. Hope you enjoy yours as much as i do!

PS they do multiply, started with an 840, and now working my way through the lines

FWIW the CR-1020 and CR-2020 are not only built on the same chassis but use mostly the same circuit boards. In the amplifiers the only difference is the driver and output transistors. In the power supply the transformers are different as are the big filter caps. The 2020 has provision for an MC cartridge, on the 1020 those components are simply not there (although I did add them to a 1020 once). One other difference, the 1020 is easier to pick up. All of these similarities did lead to a few errors in the service manuals because they simply copied the 1020 schematic and changed part numbers.

Back
Top Bottom