Yamaha cr 2020 or new Yammy

Jetmech

Hi everyone. I've been wanting to get into some serious gear as I've revived the vinyl. Ive been toying with the idea of a Luxman m-02 and c-02. Then I started looking at the Yamaha CR2020. I was also bouncing around the idea of a modern Yamaha S801. Just wondering what you all think of the sound quality of a CR2020 vs a new S801? And the Luxman for that matter too.

Thanks?

CR-2020 does sound very good. I haven't had the opportunity to audition any of the newer 2 channel integrated amplifiers . To get a CR-2020 sounding its best will cost a bit as well.I'll bet that S801 sounds kick ass though.

I don't have an issue in doing any repairs or upgrades. I'm more interested if the vintage market is sonically worth it as compared to the new breed of amplifier. I love the look of the old gear but looks alone are not enough.

I'm not meaning to talk about receivers. What I'm asking is, and I should've been more to the point: Does something like the Yamaha AS line best the high end vintage stuff of yesteryear? I'm asking because I don't want to buy sonething just because it's old. I want something that truly sounds great, and is far beyond the BestBuy off the shelf stuff. The CR2020 has a tuner in it so that's a bit of a bonus. But if it's not going to be as good a sounding unit as the current gear, at least in the AS range, then for me anyway, it's a lost cause. The Luxman M-02 and C02 are just preamp and amplifier. And that was what first got me going on all this. But again, how does that stand up against what is around today? I'm looking for your opinions because many of you have such vast collections of new and old gear, that i feel it makes you somewhat of an authority on the subject.

Altho I'm a Yammy fan & user, I'd avoid the CR 2020. Of the receivers in the CR line, that one ran the hottest & will probably need a complete rehab. Go to the Yammy forum. You'll find threads on the CR 2020 & get an education. I have no opinion about Lux.

Thanks for your input. I planned on bringing it or anyone of them in for an overhaul regardless. But sounds like staying with the newer gear may be the way to go.

The CR-2020 is certainly an excellent-sounding unit. But like anything pushing 40 years old, it's going to need a bit of work to perform its best.

The S801 sounds pretty digital ready.

Last edited:
As for the difference between vintage & contemporary gear, in most instances the contemporary units will win. However depending on the individual units, some vintage gear might prove superior. Only a lunkhead would conclude that all separates are better.

Moved to the Yamaha Forum for better exposure
Regards,
Jim

I have both the A-S500 and A-S501. I have done direct comparisons of those to my vintage CA-800 (Avionic recap/furb) and CA-1010. In my experience the new Yamaha's are up to task and in some cases slightly outperform the vintage units. I'm keeping all of them because they all are great amps.

In my opinion, the A-S801 would provide the sound you're looking for without any maintenance a 40 year old receiver may need. It is also digital ready if that has any value to you. It also comes with a remote so no need to get out of your listening chair to adjust volume!;)

Good luck choosing...

I liked the comparison and thought it was well done. A good deal of bias is removed comparing the same brand; and that the reviewer was impressed with the 2010 compared to new technology says something about Yamaha's quality and consistency over time. My experience comparing old and new Yamaha has been similar, although without the colorful descriptors the reviewer used.

This is a pretty good comparo between AS2100 and CA2010

Back
Top Bottom