Yamaha cr 2020 or new Yammy

I guess the takeaway for me was. he has ultra mega uber speaker cables and fancy speakers, an experience ear and well set up room - he was able to really concentrate, stand on one leg and just notice a difference.

I've usually had a couple of drinks, my gear is no where near as good and i try not to audition it endlessly...I prefer re using stuff and i like the vintage look...so it give me some comfort I am not missing out too much when i watch this type of thing :)

I guess the takeaway for me was....it gives me some comfort I am not missing out too much when i watch this type of thing :)

I agree, we aren't missing out on too much. We have very good, highly listenable gear. The comparison is a fantastic example of the law of diminishing returns. He (the reviewer) notes at the end that the price of vintage 2010's might have to start going up.

There is a CA2010 and a A/S1100 for sale nearby both for the same price. I already have CA1000 - i wonder

a) Do the 2010 or the 1100 have much on the 1000?
b) If the 2010 and 110 sound pretty much the same - how would you choose between them?

Can't comment on the 2010(yet) or the A/S.
I've refurbished 2 CA-800, 2xCA-1000's and 1xCA-1010
The CA-800 and -1000 are very similiar but the 1000 is clearly better, certainly wouldn't bin a CA-800, good entry level.
The CA-1010 to my ears, is very different. It produces a much wider sound stage with a lot of air/separation and has
great speaker control. The tone seems to have been dialed back just a little so the CA-1000 sounds a bit fuller/richer
in this area. Reports are the CA-2010 is similar to the 1010. All are very good amps, choice will come down to music.
If you want the artist in your room then go for the 2010 and accept very slight short comings on tone.

As always, if you buy vintage, you shound set funds aside for a refurb otherwise buy new.

Lots of fear of the CR-2020. As an owner, there's little to fear. Get the three service bulletins taken care of first. They run warm - mostly due to rather wimpy heat sinks on the power supply regulator transistors. The power supply most definitely needs to be recapped and have solder pads touched up. Consider outboarding those two hot transistors.

This is an interesting read:

https://retrovoltage.com/2014/01/26/1977-yamaha-cr-2020-vintage-stereo-receiver-repair/

Back
Top Bottom