yamaha cr 2020

keithpgdrb

How much should I be willing to spend on a yamaha cr 2020 with no cover, but is said to be working? got a line on one.:smoke:

Does that CR-2020 has all the knobs and switches and the face is free of scratches? And are the lamps out? If the face is clean, you can always look for the case. I just bought a CR-1040 in very nice condition for $75, and I would be willing to pay up to $200 for a nice 2020 or 2040. Therefore, I would see if you can get yours for $100-$150 assuming everything works.

Does that CR-2020 has all the knobs and switches and the face is free of scratches? And are the lamps out? If the face is clean, you can always look for the case. I just bought a CR-1040 in very nice condition for $75, and I would be willing to pay up to $200 for a nice 2020 or 2040. Therefore, I would see if you can get yours for $100-$150 assuming everything works.

I'm going to check it out on saturday. looks like all the knobs and switches are there. doesnt look scratched up from the pics. dont know if the lights work or not. I was going to test it while there. if I get sound out of all the ports, I was going to offer up some decent bucks. If there is too much work involved in getting it up and running, I could always sell it. I would offer it here first anyway.

Last edited:
would you believe the lady decided at the last minute to keep the amp. unbelievable. must have panicked when she realized how many people were interested. what a drag.

Wait for the right example to show up. This one has a questionable history and also you will end up spending for a replacement case.

The guy called me and said he is putting it up for sale again, but he called me first since I showed more interest then others. what do you think? I figure its worth it to go have a look at least. if everything works, I'll consider it.

ok, really need advice on this one. here is what the guy said.

"Everything works beyond some minor things - a couple console lights are out, one of the push buttons has some noise in it. I can tell it was last service in '95 by a sticker the company left on the inside of the case. I don't know what was done.

The story behind the missing case is the unit came out of a house that was being remodeled by my wife's father. It was part of an custom in-wall electronics rack they were replacing. The owner let him keep the unit and he gave it to me."

A few things make me nervous about it. but he is offering for $100 bucks. If I test it, and everything works, I figure that whatever is wrong, I can fix. Thoughts? PLEASE?

Maybe this person is part of audiokarma!! that would be awesome!! at least I'd know more about his integrity. These things are always a chance.

Go for it. $100 is a good deal. You can always sell it back. You just want to test with both Left and Right speakers to make sure there's no distortion. The 2020 doesn't use those Yamaha pre-drivers that go bad in the lower models. If no distortion, and FM stereo works well, I would be happy with it. While you're there, test the phono section. If that sounds good, I'm not sure what you should be concerned with. Grab it before someone else does. Good luck.

ok, so I picked up the Yamaha, very excited about it. So I removed the faceplate so I could clean the pots and switches. apparently, whoever opened this up last, did not put it back together very well. The rubber molding that holds the power and indicator lights was sealed in crooked. now that I've opened it, I cant seem to get it closed again without just smashing the rubber further. one of the solder joints has already broken because it was bent funny. have to try to fix that as well.

so, I dont know if I'll be able to get this rubber thing back where it belongs. would it be detrimental if I cut away the distorted part of rubber so it will fit again? does it serve a specific purpose? it would only be the bottom middle section.

Please help.

You should be able to shave off the rubber just fine, except you want to leave enough for it to remain snug. Without enough rubber, it may not stay in place. And if the pots and switches are not making scratching noises, you shouldn't need to clean them. I would not clean them just for the sake of cleaning. As for the indicator lights, is the rubber molding translucent or just to keep in place? If translucent, it may leak light where you shave it off, but should be just fine.

When I pull the faceplates on 1020 and 2020 I slide an xzcto knife under the rubber piece and pull it off slowly. The LEDs that Yamaha uses have the small diameter tips that you see on the outside as part of a larger LED and they are no longer available. If you do this then carefully work the rubber part away from the circuit board dip it in hot water, that may let it resume the original shape. Put it back with crazy glue and watch how the wires go through the inner faceplate, they may not be going into the proper opening.

I kept fiddling with the wires and got it all back to fit, although tighter then I would like. I am finding that I have a ground issue as well.

as you know, this unit did not come with a case. its all nude. I am getting ground noise when the unit is plugged in. the noise goes away when I touch the casing. I'm not sure where the ground connection is supposed to be on this unit. I'm checking the circuit diagram now to see if I can find it. The unit has no feet either, would this play a part?

I was going to build a nice case for it, but it would be wood, which wont help the ground issue. gotta solve that first. help?

I swear, this has got to be the last mundane question from me. I'm sorry.

I am getting ground noise when the unit is plugged in. the noise goes away when I touch the casing.
Try just flipping the AC power cord around in the AC wall socket.

Keith - that's great. The knowledge between merrylander and avionic pretty much covers it all, so I'm glad they were able to chime in. By the way - what speakers did you say you were going to hook this up to?

Keith - that's great. The knowledge between merrylander and avionic pretty much covers it all, so I'm glad they were able to chime in. By the way - what speakers did you say you were going to hook this up to?

I have terrible speakers. old fishers. not great. thats next on my list. for now, I'm running my turntable through it, into my stax headphones.

any specific speaker suggestions that I wont have to take a second mortgage out on? lol..

in all seriousness, speakers are on the list, but further down then a new cd source. Now that I have the amp I wanted, I can really start concentrating on the build.

Merrylander likes the combo with Yamaha NS-670 or NS-690. I just missed a CL listing for a pair of NS-670 for $100. Currently with my CR-1040, I have a pair of newly refoamed Infinity RSa's hooked up, and it's sweet. I have a pair of Infinity RS Monitor which needs new woofer surrounds will be hooked up next. I also use Paradigm 3SE, and the sound is really good as well.

Back
Top Bottom