Yamaha CR-3020 Arrived at Merrylanders

Mark B

Yamaha Fan
Subscriber
The Yamaha CR-3020 I bought on ebay arrived at merrylanders safely yesterday, and he's already got the problem fixed: "two Fusistors that were supposed to be 390 ohms were 175 and 320 ohms respectively, so I replaced them with 1/4 watt 2% resistors".

Rob says it's as nice a Yamaha as he's seen. Now to get her ready for the next 25 years. I've asked Rob to replace all of the electrlytics with Black Gates (N series), replace all bulbs, and anything else he thinks is necessary. Also a tuner alignment.

Last edited:
Pics (from the ebay listing)

Attachments

• Yamaya CR-3020 1.jpg
    Yamaya CR-3020 1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 139
  • Yamaya CR-3020 2.jpg
    Yamaya CR-3020 2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 177
  • Yamaya CR-3020 3.jpg
    Yamaya CR-3020 3.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Yamaya CR-3020 4.jpg
    Yamaya CR-3020 4.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 84
Its a nice thing that vintage Yammies are a relatively well kept secret. You got that 3020 for a third what SX-1980s go for, and you got a better receiver as well.

The pictures do not tell the whole story, the case is a 9.99 out of 10 and from the looks I am the first to ever see the lady nude. It is one well cared for receiver, I doubt that it had more than 2 or 3 thousand hours playing time behind it.

Rob

Rob, hope you got the truck driver to carry it down to the basement. That puppy's a back breaker. What's it tip the scales at - 85lbs? And I thought my CR 1020 was big. :sigh:

Mark or Merrylander- did you have it shipped there from the seller? How was it packed since that thing is a monster and heavy?

Very nice looking receiver Mark. It'll sound wonderful for many years to come I bet.

My CR-2020 has arrived at Rob's as well. I hope she doesn't get an inferiority complex around that 3020. Great looking unit Mark.

cubdog

Hot damn!
Great to hear! My 2020 was a nice sounding unit, so I cannot imagine how great this will sound after the master is done with it!
Congrats!

alwayslooking said:
Mark or Merrylander- did you have it shipped there from the seller? How was it packed since that thing is a monster and heavy?
I asked the seller to wrap it in several layers of large bubble wrap and double box it. Merrylander said it was well packaged in lots of bubble wrap.

We are lucky in having a prince of a man as our UPS driver, JR hauled that 3020 down to the shop along with cub's 2020 that arrived the same day. To cap it all off, my Rhode Island friend arrived with his 3020 that same day. So we sorted out his big momma and packed it up and got it out to his car, then finished unpacking Mark's big momma and got her on the bench.

It was after Rob left (yeah we share names too) that I got at Mark's and found the problem. Then there is Doug the dog's 2020 on the other bench. So today I hit the printer with full size schematics of both 2020 and 3020 (6 11 x 17 sheets glued together) the we headed for Amtrak to book our trip to New York in March for our granddaughter's christening. By the time that was done it was late enough in the day that I took Florence to dinner and then came home - gee, I do have a life after all.

Rob

cubdog said:
My CR-2020 has arrived at Rob's as well. I hope she doesn't get an inferiority complex around that 3020. Great looking unit Mark.

cubdog
Don't worry cubdog! My CR-2020 is there at Robs also keeping yours company! By the way.... My CR-1000 just arrived yesterday via UPS with no damage (YES!!!) Looks like Rob has a lot on his plate right now, looks like I'll have to tackle this one myself (GULP!)
Travis

Last edited:
cubdog said:
Hope you had a wonderful date Rob.

cubdog

We really did, this is a new restaurant just about 5 miles up the road from our home with great food. The menu did not state that the ribs were a full rack so there was a doggie bag. We saw this young couple with their two well behaved children a few tables away, Florence said that if Norman Rockwell was still alive he would paint them, so as we were leaving she stopped at their table and told them so. Think we made their day.

Here are some shots of the 3020 uncovered. I basically have two benches running at the moment. A 2020 is on the other. There are two metal covers on the 3020 that are removed in these shots. Normally when you remove the case all you see is black metal and those monster heatsinks.

Spent some time yesterday converting the 2020 schematic and the 3020 schematic from JPEG to PDF to take advantage of Acrobat's tiled printout. Wow, even at 20% sizing the 3020 took 8 11 x 17 pages, the 2020 at 100% took only 6. Then you use a straightedge and a razor blade to trim them and Elmer's rubber paper cement to make a single drawing. Now I can read the numbers without a jeweller's loupe.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom