Yamaha CR-3020 before & after re-cap

kzim229

I recently bought a non-working CR-3020 and took it to a tech here in the L.A. area who went through it and got the protection circuit working, cleaned the tone controls etc and the FM front-end; then after firing it up, it had a little too much hum in the preamp section, so he replaced half a dozen or so caps.

I had heard this same 3020 over a year ago at a friend's house (before it broke), and the sound was not good: it was muffled and weak, as if you had turned the bass & treble controls down.

Now it sounds very nice.
Using an amp switcher I compared it head-to-head with my daily-driver CX-2/PC2002M combo, first having both systems alternately drive the same AR-9's, then the more power-hungry AR303's.
There's no discernable difference to me, up to fairly loud volumes (-- above 90db or so, I really don't care! -- my ears are clipping at that point anyhow!)

Sweet! To me this proves what many have said here on AK, that re-capping an older unit can really help it a lot.

Congrats on getting a CR-3020!

Those things are rare!

Enjoy the music and also :worthless

Congrats B! That CR-3020 didn't sound very good at all and it was definitely sick when we played it. That it compares well with the PC2002M, an amp I know very well and admire is a strong statement. I'm looking forward to hearing the new CR-3020 post acute care by our friendly neighborhood tech.

3020 vs 16.5

Over the weekend I also compared it against my beloved Concept 16.5 (which has not been re-capped as far as I know, and doesn't seem to need it), and the 3020 has equally good sound.
I feel extremely lucky, especially since, thanks to our generous tech who only charged a fraction of what his time was worth in fixing this unit, my cost is only about $100 more than what the 16.5 cost.
The Concept is just as good-looking to my eyes as the 3020, but I prefer the 3020's controls. Of course the 3020 was a good deal more expensive when new.
My 3020 has a fairly beatup case but the faceplate and knobs, etc., look fine from 3 feet away. Will post pics when time allows.

I recently had a Sansui 890db recapped and it sounds fabulous.I am not very good at describing sound but to me it sounds sharper than my original 9090db.It made me turn the corner on believing old vintage does need recapping.

Sweet! One of these has been on my hit-list for ages now, but I've never spotted one locally.

Sam, won't your other monster receivers be lonely without it? :D

I have read a bunch of posts where many people say if that vintage piece of gear is working, leave it alone. My personal opinion, chances are you are not hearing what that vintage piece is capable of unless it has been re-capped. Only takes a couple of caps to be out of spec to make a world of difference in the sound and clarity, plus, chances are you are putting in better caps then what was in it originally. I also try to use film caos for anything under 2.2uf or so.
Just my opinion

Sweet! One of these has been on my hit-list for ages now, but I've never spotted one locally.

Sam, won't your other monster receivers be lonely without it? :D

No! The darn thing broke on me two weeks into ownership and after only about 10 hours of play. It went into the DOGHOUSE and stayed until kzim229 took over. The CR-3020 is in good hands now.

Back
Top Bottom