1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha CR-320, TC-320, NS-5 and YP-B2 questions

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by KeithD, May 21, 2018.

1. KeithD

KeithD AK Subscriber Subscriber

Picked up my first Yamaha gear yesterday: CR-620, TC-320, YP-B2, NS-5. I have a few questions that hopefully someone can help with. I've mostly got Pioneer gear, but this CL deal was too good to pass up ($25 for the lot!) The stuff was sitting in storage by the original owner for some time, so each piece needs some service.

CR-620. Deoxit to the volume and Loudness pots cleared up some bad static. However, none of the four small lights are working for the meters and dial indicator. Where should I check voltage to make sure they are getting power? Seems strange that all four bulbs would be out, but possible. If I do need to replace the bulbs, what are the voltage ratings I need?

TC-320: this just seems to need a new belt to the motor. Old one disintegrated and left black residue on the large turning wheel. Suggestions for getting this off?

YP-B2: belt also disintegrated here. What is the appropriate belt size? I might have a spare that works, but want the correct size.

NS-5: Tweeter on one speaker is not working. How do you get this out of the cabinet? I removed the hex head screws, but the tweeter does not just easily come out. There are three more screws holding the tweeter to the large black surround, but I thought the whole surround should come out? I want to check that there is not a bad connection inside before worrying about getting a new tweeter.

Thanks!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Most likely have a couple burnt out. They are wired in parallel-series so if two key lamps are burnt out none will illuminate. Contact dave at dgwojo.com and he will hook you up with the correct replacements. Just tell him there for a Yamaha CR-620. He knows what is needed. ---- 12v@60ma X 4 ---

https://sites.google.com/site/dgwojocom/

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  3. avionic

4. avionic

Tweeters --- maybe ebay. Yamaha part number should be printed on the backside of the tweeter.
    Speaker disassembly -- I'm not much help there either.

cassette deck belts -- I have no clue.

5. KeithD

ED3C7FDB-B3E7-478D-8E42-975BDDC40582.jpeg
    Thanks for that info, I would not have guessed they are in series from the way they are wired to the board. Found the pins the red and white leads are connected to. Two of them show 21VDC on the pins, while the other two pins are at 0V. Would be nice to figure out which bulbs are bad before replacing them. I do have a bunch of bulbs in stock from Dave. I’ll have to look if I have the 12V/60ma.

6. avionic

I'd replace them all at one sitting.
    Do you know your way around a schematic ?

7. avionic

8. KeithD

OK, got replacement bulbs for the CR-620. Replaced belts on the TC-320 and YP-B2, both working!

Still need some guidance on removing the tweeter from the NS-5. I removed the hex head screws around the outer edge of the tweeter, but the tweeter does not move. Do I need to get something in the screw holes to pry the tweeter out? I've posted an image of the speakers from the internet, as I am not at home right now.

6021331020_6d5216b739_b.jpg

9. KeithD

Was able to get the tweeter out and test. Tested open, so purchased a replacement and put that in and hooked them up to the CR-620. They actually sound pretty good! One speaker is missing the Yamaha symbol/plaque. Anyone have a spare or know where to get one?

The CR-620 needed a couple of rounds of Deoxit on the volume, balance and Loudness controls. All static seems to be gone now. Replaced all four bulbs with LEDs. Looks nice.

Tape deck is playing well, but rewind is having issues. If it start rewinding from the end of the tape it starts slowing down pretty quickly. It gets about 2/3 rewound before it stops all together. No matter where I start rewinding, it does not want to go the last 1/4 or so. I cleaned the rewind roller best I could with a cotton swap and isopropyl alchohol. Any suggestions? Fast forward works fine.

Was able to pick up a generic cover for the turntable. Will need some cleaning, but is close to original size.

B93B9790-B43C-48F0-8188-36932EAEAAB5.jpeg 31B39D28-D7DE-491B-912E-7C7F41410F02.jpeg AD04D72A-0DB4-4580-941E-E693C2908389.jpeg

Johnno_Oz and avionic like this.
  10. Johnno_Oz

Johnno_Oz AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice job Keith! :thumbsup:

11. KeithD

Thanks! After replacing one tweeter, and doing L/R comparisons with the balance knob, I realized the other speaker’s tweeter was poor sounding. The original owner must have driven these pretty hard to blow one tweeter and damage the other. Picked up a second tweeter from the same seller, and these now sound really good. Better than my AR-6 and 4x and comparable to my KLH-6. Very impressed.

Still looking for the speaker badge I’m missing. Anyone have any ideas where to get one??

12. avionic

PM sent.