Yamaha CR-400 Quick Recap

ivandezande

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Pick this little guy up with the seller saying it just needed a fuse...all the fuses ohmed out fine so who knows if it even has problems. I'm recapping and replacing a lot of troublesome transistors before I even turn it on. Even being the smallest in the line, it's a very nice piece of gear. Not a whole lot of pictures of it out there, so putting some here for posterity.IMG_4192.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4194.jpg
    IMG_4194.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4193.jpg
    IMG_4193.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 57
Of course everything didn't just work...bias can't be adjusted below 2 volts, and the DBT is bright as day, with no shorts on the output transistors or rectifier diodes. DC balance is somehow fine. Stay tuned.

Measure your DC voltage at F702 and F703 referenced to speaker binding post ground. ( black post ) Looking for the +/- 27 vdc ballpark.

Uh oh is right. Hmm...Pull F702 and 703 fuse from there clips and see if you have 27 vdc on one side or the other of the fuse clips.

Uh oh is right. Hmm...Pull F702 and 703 fuse from there clips and see if you have 27 vdc on one side or the other of the fuse clips.
Big news - I did that and the lamps that I thought were burnt out on the front came on and yes, there's 27V on both sides going to the amp.

Go back and look over your previous work in the amplifier circuit board. Look for
1. solder bridges
2. incorrectly installed parts
3. lifted/damaged traces

Did you get all transistor mica insulators reinstalled if they had been removed ?

Last edited:
Did you get all transistor mica insulators reinstalled if they had been removed.
Well I thought I did, the screw insulators are terrible to use, one many have fallen apart I suppose. I'll take out all the screws and see if the short remains, otherwise, is it safe to take out the output devices and put it on a DBT? Just to either eliminate or confirm the shorts location.
Also, without the 2A fuses in, there's voltage on the case, measurable and feel-able. Should this be a concern?

Last edited:
With power unplugged. Measure the resistance from the output transistor metal tab or center pin to the heatsink its fastened to.

With power unplugged. Measure the resistance from the output transistor metal tab or center pin to the heatsink its fastened to.
Did that previously and all checked out. Must be a bad solder job I did. I'll keep looking.
Screws removed and short remains.

Also the TO-220 output transistors should have a plastic bushing to prevent the screw from contacting the transistor.

So I diode and position checked all transistors in both amp channels, and still can't find anything. One lifted trace but I confirm the connection. Also, if I just leave one of the two 2A fuses in, there still appears to be a short with either one I put in. Does this mean the short is on the negative rail side or nothing at all?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom