Yamaha CR-400

Wolverine

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Here are some pics of a Yamaha CR-400 that I picked up today. Some of you have already read the saga of this piece in Dollars and Sense. For those who have not, the short version is that a seller on CL had lifted pics of AKer Acoustic's Yamaha CR-1000 (who immediately notified me that this was a pic of his CR-1000 :thmbsp:) but the listing was for a CR-840. As it turned out though it was being stored in a CR-840 box the unit was actually a CR-400. As you can see it is in pretty good shape. It had some dust inside and a couple of lamps are out but the case is in very good shape. After a little clean up I hooked it up to my Denon 1500 and have it driving a pair of Minimus 7's while I give it a little test. Scoring an 840 would have been sweet but this is looking like a nice little consolation prize.

A AK shout out to AK member Last Place for putting the word out that this piece was out there.

Attachments

• CR-400 After 1.jpg
    CR-400 After 1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 196
  • CR-400 After 2.jpg
    CR-400 After 2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 150
  • CR-400 After 003.jpg
    CR-400 After 003.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 156
The upside is the fact that you dont have any unobtainable ICs to contend with down the road. Is the case real wood veneer like on the CR-600?

The upside is the fact that you dont have any unobtainable ICs to contend with down the road. Is the case real wood veneer like on the CR-600?

Yes, I would guess it to be some type of stained pine which given how soft pine can be it makes its condition a nice surprise.

Yes, I would guess it to be some type of stained pine which given how soft pine can be it makes its condition a nice surprise.
Cool - I bought my CR-400 back in '76 when they first came out. Superb sound quality and excellent FM reception for what was a $330 receiver.
Not a ton of power - I think they spec out around 25w/ch, but its bulletproof.
Also its hand assembled, unlike the newer ones.
Look at the sticker on the back!

Only probs I ever had were lamps burning out, and dirty pots.

Still got it down in the basement - great little unit!

Back
Top Bottom