Yamaha CR-420 power consumption

Tannoyd

Hi

Thinking about picking up one of these vintage amps to drive my Orthodynamic headphones, as these models were designed to do just that.

Looking at the specs, though, it seems power consumption is pretty high considering how it outputs 25 watts per channel.

In the manual, it says p. consumption is 130 watts (Aust. 200W). What does 'Aust' mean?

Well 25 W per channel times two channels is 50 W. Class A means no more than 50% efficiency so there we are up to 100 W without lighting the lamps or powering the rest of the circuitry. So 130 W seems not unreasonable.

Aust. means the Australian model, most likely.

Except the CR-420 is Class AB and the power consumption figure is with the receiver running flat out, hardly what you would be doing with headphones.

Except the CR-420 is Class AB and the power consumption figure is with the receiver running flat out, hardly what you would be doing with headphones.

Would also be using it to drive JBL L19's, which are 88db/m approx- so will be using the full volume range, considering the amp is only a 25-watter into 8 ohms.

Still puzzled about the 135 W or (200 W Aust.) I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with Australia :D

Would also be using it to drive JBL L19's, which are 88db/m approx- so will be using the full volume range, considering the amp is only a 25-watter into 8 ohms.

Still puzzled about the 135 W or (200 W Aust.) I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with Australia :D

No, you will not be needing to use the receiver at full volume range. It will power them just fine at any volume. JBLs are very efficient speakers.

Back
Top Bottom