Yamaha CR-600 Main Amp issues

that1nerd

Alright, so here's the short version.

I bought my CR-600 off of eBay about five years ago at this point. The listing described it as a non-working unit, which had blown fuses when I first got it, but seemed to work okay after replacing them. Recently, it developed a popping noise in the right channel. Found out real quick that it was the main amp that was generating the noise, so I went through and recapped it, as well as replacing transistors 701 through 704 after recapping didn't fix a thing.

The popping got progressively worse, tripping the relay over and over until the protection circuit kicked in full time. I'm now getting around nine volts between the test points on both channels. Checked the original output transistors, which tested fine, but also swapped in a brand new set of Motorola MJ15015/MJ15016 outputs. Nothing changed.

If the outputs aren't the problem at this point, what else could it be? Possibly a power supply issue?

On page 17 of the service manual there is a procedure to measure and adjust " mid point voltage" ( DC offset) . Measure the voltage at those test points and report back your findings.
You can download the service manual at Hifiengine.com.

This is the voltage present at the amplifier(s) output. Excessive DC voltage at the output will trigger the protection circuit.

Back
Top Bottom