Yamaha CR-620 And Other Models

rode2rouen

Dyslexics Untie!
I was cruising Ebay earlier today and I noticed a couple of Yamaha CR-XX20 models that were made in "Taiwan R.O.C." according to the markings on the back of the units. These units also show a different Serial # sequence that the units made in "Hamamatsu, Japan".
Out of curiosity, I checked my own CR-620 and it is a Taiwan-made unit. My CR-1020 is a Hamamatsu-made unit.
Has anyone got any info as to when or why they were made in two different plants??

Rex

Last edited:
Don't know when. Why... Usually has something to do with cost savings.ie money

I figured that co$t would be involved. Could there have been such a significant labor co$t disparity "back in the day"?
I was just surprised that Yamaha would use two manufacturing sources.
I have no issues with my "Taiwan" unit (other than it might get me evicted), it drives the Infinity RSa and RSb speaker sets wonderfully :)

Rex

Yamaha used quite a few different companies to build their gear if I remember correctly. If you look on the data plate on the back (I can't think of a better word for it right now) under Yamaha you'll sometimes see Nippon Gakki but sometimes other names.
I'm guessing it had to do with cost as well as demand. Maybe if they had a big order to fill they would overflow some of it to another factory that had extra capacity handy.
There was a thread about it somewhere where they showed a bunch of the different symbols and names used by the various makers. I will try to find it if I can though I'm not even sure it was on this site.

EDIT: I can't find the thread and it's driving me nuts now. Here's an example of what I mean though. You'll see this amp was built by Taiheyo K rather than Nippon Gakki.

a-950 rear.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom