Yamaha CR-640 Low Filter Cutoff Frequency?

Tusec

Well, UPS dropped off my Yamaha CR-640 receiver today. Oh man what a beauty! I can't believe what a fine machine this thing is.

Anyway...

It's in minty condition and all the functions seem to work - except maybe the Low Filter switch. I push it and can't hear any change. However, my speakers are smallish bookshelf types -- Boston Acoustics CR-7's -- which makes me think maybe the rolloff happens below their lowest frequency. In other words it's working but isn't audible.

Does anyone know what the cutoff frequency is?

Low cut was from the turntable days, to cut some rumble and super low freq energy. I'm guessing your low cut is around 30 hz.

Last edited:
Low cut was from the turntable days, to cut some rumble and super low freq energy. I'm guessing your low cut is around 300 hz.

Gives a "sharp " 12 db/octave cutoff below 25 Hz... Doubt if you can hear it.

Last edited:
Yeah, if it's 25hz, then I'm probably not hearing it. Low freq on these speakers is stated as 80Hz. If it's a 6dB slope below that, then they'd be almost 18dB down at 25Hz -- and that's just when the Lo filter is starting to kick in.

The low filter on the CR-640 is used for subsonic frequencies. All the receivers I own act the same way. I hope you enjoy your CR-640.

Back
Top Bottom