Yamaha CR-640 Receiver

tturner1157

Hi...
Can anyone tell me anything about the Yamaha CR-640 Receiver? I picked one up a garage sale today for $10. Is that a good deal? I have powered it up and everything looks good so far...will give it complete testing tonight after work.
Any info on this unit would be helpful...specs, etc.
Thanks!
Tom:music:

Lamps if it needs them are 14V 80mA see dgwojo, DC offset is the only amp adjustment, usual alignment can be done on AM and FM. For DC Offset there are two test points TL and TR in between the protection relay (Black box at left front of chassis) and the heat sink. Use mini grabbers, don't even think alligator clips. Then there are two variable resistors (VR) between the filter caps and the front plate. Warm it up for 5 minutes, select an open input, volume to zero. Measure between TL and the chassis and adjust appropriate VR for zero volts. Ditto for TR.

It is good.Especially for $10.It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on a comparison between that and your Marantz 2220b.

Hee is a general rule of thumb. Anytime you can pick up a vintage piece for about the cost of a pack of cigarettes it is probably a good deal, especially if you trying to stop smoking. As to the CR-640, anytime you can pick up a Yamaha vintage piece for about the price of a pack of cigarettes it is a good deal even if you are not trying to quit smoking.

Thanks Superdog & Brian...my thoughts exactly on the comparison. I will be testing it out for a few hours and we'll see. Thanks for the comments...much appreciated. I will keep you posted on the sound, etc. over the weekend sometime. I need to clean it up a bit too...externally anyway. Inside looks real clean already.

The CR-640 is a very capable mid-level receiver and I use one in my basement system hooked to (3) sets of speakers and it has plenty enough power to put out a very pleasant sound. I really like the "natural sound" that Yamahas put out and when I go to upgrade to a integrated amp I'm leaning towards a Yamaha.

AND GETTING ONE FOR $10 - EVEN IF IT DIDN'T WORK WELL IT'S A GREAT PIECE OF ELECTRONIC ART!!! Part of the allure of buying vintage stereo equipment is that it looks and sounds good all at the same time. That's why I continue to look for stereo consoles in excellent shape - they look really good in my 100 yr old house plus they typically have decent working components.

You can't go wrong with a Yammie, that's for sure. I even love my little CR-400 and the sound its little amp puts out. If you're a musician who has spent time in your life looking for "pure sound" the Yamahas have it in droves.

Nice find!

Yes, it is a very nice piece, and I would suggest following merrylander's instructions above before hooking it up to any speakers.

Adjusted correctly, it is hard to beat the "Yamaha Sound". :music:

Well, I have had most of the weekend to listen to the Yamaha...then the Marantz 2220B. IMHO the Yamaha does sound damn good...and I certainly agree with the comments about that "natural" sound. But...I still have to go with the Marantz as the winner in my weekend comparisons! At least to my ears, that Marantz warm sound...and fuller & richer...just comes out on top and sounds better overall on my Vegas. That's my ears...someone else may totally lean toward the Yamaha. But I know a couple of you wanted my opinion on comparing the two so...there ya go. The 2220B is crankin right now...and life is good!

The Yamaha sound may be an acquired taste.When I first got my cr620 i didn't like the sound.Sounded thin and weak compared to my Pioneer.It took awhile to appreciate the clean and neutral sound they are known for.I am still partial to Sansui but have come to enjoy Yamahas for what they are.

Hi...
Can anyone tell me anything about the Yamaha CR-640 Receiver? I picked one up a garage sale today for $10. Is that a good deal? I have powered it up and everything looks good so far...will give it complete testing tonight after work.
Any info on this unit would be helpful...specs, etc.
Thanks!

I bought one back in 1980 or 81. I had the original owners manual and schematics. Unfortunatly it stopped working one day while I was listening to it (at a somewhat high volume) In the late 80's I took it to a local "stereo repair shop" and they kept it for 6 months. I called a few times and they said they had trouble with parts. Finally I went in and it was sitting out front with a TV stacked ontop of the MINT wooden cabinet. Furrious I said Im taking it NOW. The 16 year old in charge of the shop said I owed them $35 for the work already performed (nothing had been done as far as I could tell) Finally the police showed up at my door, I explained and they walked away, but I never recovered my original packaing, or servive manual. I do however have an original Audio Associates catalog from that era with every thing they sold at the time. I have many 70's and 80's directories of audio equipment. Sorry for the long story.
Yamaha CR 640
Power output 40 watts per ch. 20-20,000Hz. at .02 THD
Signal/noise ratio 94db phono 100db auxilary
FM sensitivity 1.6 microvolts
Capture ratio 1.5 db
Selectivity 65 db
Separation 50 db
Retail $395.00

PS if anyone know a QUALITY place close to Fredericksburg Virginia to get this fixed PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Last edited:
Great deal! Awesome receiver. I have a cr-600 which I love. In fact tbhis is my second cr-600, I had one and threw it out (!!!) when I didn't know how to repair it. This one's been babied however.

Anyway, I think the 640 uses power packs in the amplifier so I wouldnt drive it into 4 ohms too hard.

My #1 'Daily Driver' is a Yamaha and it never lets me down.

That said, you do have to be careful with the 'vintage' models,
many of which need serious attention. But that's true of most any brand.

My #1 'Daily Driver' is a Yamaha and it never lets me down.

That said, you do have to be careful with the 'vintage' models,
many of which need serious attention. But that's true of most any brand.
Your right.I let go of a couple of nice Yamahas.Cr2020 and a CA1010.Sounded great but their age made them expendable when they failed.No worries though as I am more than happy with my newer Yamahas.

Nine years later the Yamaha has been it.My favorite make.
9 months later...what are you listening to super dog? I've got a nice looking CR-640 sitting on a table of vintage gear. was thinking about popping the cover to check it out. I've got a feeling it would sound great on a set of monitors.

9 months later...what are you listening to super dog? I've got a nice looking CR-640 sitting on a table of vintage gear. was thinking about popping the cover to check it out. I've got a feeling it would sound great on a set of monitors.
My main three setups are powered by Yamaha RXV1s.I have a RXZ9 that comes into rotation at times.The RXV800 is the first newer Yamaha that showed my ears how good the newer can be.I'll pick up any working vintage Yamahas if I find them cheap.I wish I still had my cr620 for some lps.

Nice, sounds like great receiver. And at 62 lbs., I'm not going to call it a great little receiver either because it looks like pure monster. I'm looking inside my 640 now, and need some assistance. Can't wait to get it going and listen to some vinyl with it going through some Paradigms. I found a Youtube Video with the exact same issues as this one, but he never went into depth on what he did to bring it back to life. The text mentions all he did was to adjust two pots on the main board, and replaced one diode to get it kicking again. That sounds too good to be true for me. What Vegas do you have?

Nice, sounds like great receiver. And at 62 lbs., I'm not going to call it a great little receiver either because it looks like pure monster. I'm looking inside my 640 now, and need some assistance. Can't wait to get it going and listen to some vinyl with it going through some Paradigms. I found a Youtube Video with the exact same issues as this one, but he never went into depth on what he did to bring it back to life. The text mentions all he did was to adjust two pots on the main board, and replaced one diode to get it kicking again. That sounds too good to be true for me. What Vegas do you have?
Sorry I can't help with any technical issues with you 640 as I am not a tech.I have two pair of D9 speakers.One pair is a work in progress.A pair of D5 and a set of 317p Hardrockers.Eventually I'll pair them down to two pair of CVs.

Ok, cool. I have gotten in a little deeper and have gotten some DC voltage readings so far.
Well you have me by a few. Two pair of D-9s...... yeah man, you have it bad. I haven't gotten a pair yet, as they never get sold around my parts. I do have a nice set of DX-9s(and a spare) while I hunt for a set of D-9s. D-5s, and 317-Ps! Damn, you have some rocking speakers. I just have my lowly HED U-321s and the DX-9s. Would love a pair of D-9s and/or 317-Ps.

Back
Top Bottom