Yamaha CR-820--Liking it

westend

Audiopile
Got this the other day from a local AK brother and I'm liking it.:yes:

I never knew the tone controls on a receiver could be this exacting. It has the usual Bass-Treble pots, of course and the Loudness Contuor control but also has a Presence Control and the combination is very nice. It's easy to dial in or out some goodness or badness in certain speakers. I've had some pretty nice receivers but this one is special. Didn't know what I was missing, I guess. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 37
Is this the one that was up in Chicago, listed on Barter Town?
Nope. Came right out of the "Land of Cornstands", MN :yes:

A sleeper for sure and that one looks real purty.
Thanks, it has only one small ding on the front case top edge. I'm pondering a way to get that back in shape. Otherwise it is a 9.5.

Another Yamaha convert! :music: Nice looking copy! :thmbsp: What speakers have you used?
Not quite a convert, I have a Yamaha C-2a preamp that I consider the best.

Here's the current speaker setup---Wharfedale 40's, just repaired the wiring to one woofer. Since it's a two-way, I'm having a lot of fun using the 820. I can voice those little Limeframes to sound pretty good for nearfield. Great center stereo image, actually. Listening to FM, an oldies rock station, good stuff.

The Yamaha has a very uncolored, balanced sound. There is no midbass or bass coloration or emphasis. A Vodka Tonic vs. three Martini.

Say....that unit looks familiar. :naughty:

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Yammie, Lance. :thmbsp:

Nice looking, but it does not have a headphone out. :(
See below

Actually there are two, behind that rectangular plastic cover.
Yeppers, there are two. Attached pics for posterity.

Anything I should be looking out for in this, maintenance wise or prone to fail? I do have to open it up for bulb changes.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 28
Say....that unit looks familiar. :naughty:

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Yammie, Lance. :thmbsp:

Hey Darren,
Yeah, I've been messing around with it for a few days in the lab. It seems the daughter wants to keep the receiver she has so I get to keep the Yamaha :cool:

I also have the Wharfedale's working. Not the best combination but is a nice change from the usual shop system.

Thanks for the opportunity to have these. Your payback is coming!:D

Lamps are 12V 60mA and available from dgwojo.
Thanks for recommending Dave, I tell everyone to get them from him, as well. I was just looking through the Bulb drawer and I can see some of his work, bulbs with leads soldered and heatshrink. The guy is excelllent.

Damn! that thing is really clean and looks so cool. I love the CR series machines, this one is just a fine example of how beautiful these vintage yamaha units can be. Congrats for sure!

Back
Top Bottom