Yamaha CR-820 waiting for me

Raynald

Addicted Member
Spotted an ad near where my brother lives, just said Yamaha Amplifier. Had him call to check out, turned out to be the 820. Pictures showed up later, they looked GOOD. I asked him to check it out and pick it up if it seemed OK. Here is his report:

All the lights work stereo reception and all,sound comes out both sides.

One little ding and a little rash on one back corner,looks really really good.

Might be a while before I see it, but should be worth the wait.

Raynald,

I am listening to my CR-820 at the moment. The "natural sound" takes a bit of getting used to after listening to a bass-heavy Sansui 661 for the past six months.

The change is refreshing however. :)

The "natural sound" does take a minute to get use to but is very enjoyable in its own right. I really enjoy it when I'm taking a break from the marantz sound.

I certainly noticed the difference a couple of years ago when I went from a Sony STR-V5 to a CR-1000. Once you get used to the lighter balance you notice the better detail and definition. My CR-2040 takes that even further. The 20 series is sonically in between the 00 and 40 series. I have had a 1020 and 2020, this guy should be perfect for secondary system or maybe a friend looking to get set up.

I love my CR820, nice find! I have a Marantz 2245 that I won on the auction site. It was near my brothers house and I called him and had him pick it up. I cant wait so and am driving 400 miles to get it this weekend. I owe him a visit anyway. Hope you can get it soon. The 820 is a beautiful receiver.

Beautiful indeed. I actually find it has a much more balanced look than the 1020/2020 which look oddly off center to me. I am really hoping to come across a CR-800 at some point. I think it is a bit better unit, directly based on the CA-800 without the class A is my guess, heavier than the 820 and the pre out/main in is nice to have.

Hmmm... dint you just dispose of a 1020? :D

Yes, but could not resist this one. As mentioned earlier, I like the balanced look of the 820 better, this example promises to be in even better shape in some ways than that 1020 and I got it for 1/5th of what the 1020 brought (and the buyer got a good deal on that one!).

Back
Top Bottom