yamaha cr1000 no sound

maclvrbr

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Picked this up today, the speaker relay engages but no sound through speakers. source was FM and aux using a cd player . There is a low hiss coming from speakers and headphones. This unit does have pre out main in ports. Where to start?

It also has the "coupler" switch on the back.
The switch can get dirty; hilarity ensues when it does.

Otherwise, "fiddle" with all knobs, switches and pots and listen for static (or sound); I am a Yamaha fanboy, but I find their controls to be worse than average in terms of susceptibility to oxidation. There's a sticky somewhere at AK on the use of DeOxit to clean dirty controls.

There's a fair chance the problem is minor -- but of course it might not be.
You'd also be well advised, I'd opine, to check for DC on the amplifier's speaker outputs when the relay clicks in.

Checked for DCV at speaker outputs and less than 2 mv there will start cleaning switches esp the one mentioned first, thanks

Yeah, that coupler switch can wreak havoc.
I have a CR-2020 that I thought had bad driver or output transistors based on some of the horrible sounds I was hearing -- panic-stricken, I asked AK's resident Yamaha expert, Merrylander (who's still around, I am pleased to say, but no longer doing repairs) , and he said "clean the preamp/power amp coupling switch". Voila!

I will hope for success for you, too!

The Mic volume switch produces popping through the speakers when moved however no changes through other switches

Hook up a separate pre-amp to the main-in of the CR1000. and flip the coupler switch to sepearate. This will verify if the problem is before (preamp) or after (amplifier)the coupler switch. Or vice versa - hook up a seperate power amp to the CR1000 pre-out. Either way will eliminate possibilities.

Hook up a separate pre-amp to the main-in of the CR1000. and flip the coupler switch to sepearate. This will verify if the problem is before (preamp) or after (amplifier)the coupler switch. Or vice versa - hook up a seperate power amp to the CR1000 pre-out. Either way will eliminate possibilities.
Great suggestion!

I did that and was hopeful of some results. but got no sound either way. Ideas? I hooked a separate preamp to the main in ports of receiver with source going to preamp, no sound. I then hooked a separate power amp from the pre outs, source into aux port of receiver and no sound there.

I have cleaned all of the switches what a pain. Bypassed coupler switch with patch cable to see f it was the issue earlier

When you connected a separate power amp which amplifier had the speakers hooked to it ? The CR or the different amplifier ?

How are you at following a schematic ? Measuring voltages on a "hot " chassis ?

Not yet not certain of where they are located. I did assume since the relay engaged the fuses were good. I did download the service manual. Do you know the exact location?

Back
Top Bottom