Yamaha CR840 tech info needed...

GerryL

Hi folks-
I found this site earlier in the week while searching for info on my problem. While waiting for membership to go through I've been reading the forums and I fear I've developed a vintage equipment addiction. :)
So anyway, I've had this CR 840 for about 3 years when I got it from the take it or leave it shack at our dump. It looks real nice, and worked fine until this week. I was listening to it out in my shop, and there was a sudden and short BZZZT, then all was quiet and dark. :no: I took the cover off and looked around; I found a 5A fuse blown on a vertical board in the middle. I replaced it with another 5A, and tried again. Within seconds of being on, I see something letting it's smoke out, so I power it right down. I've figured out that it's a resistor getting very hot; I've shut it off quick enough that it hasn't discolored much, but it's definately what's letting the smoke out. I'll attach two photos with the resistor circled; can anyone give me a clue to what would cause this?
Thanks- Gerry

Attachments

• CIMG9140c.JPG
    CIMG9140c.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 61
  • CIMG9141c.JPG
    CIMG9141c.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 55
hey Gerry welcome aboard.....I have an 840 I need to look at as well and will be checking the DC offset shortly.......hopefully merrylander will chime in and get you on the right path.

From the photo that looks to be R-718 a 2 watt 390 ohm resistor in the feedback path of the right channel. Under normal circumstances there is supposed to be no voltage at either end of that resistor, why a 2 watter I have no idea. I sounds like your power amp or pre-driver module is toast.

OK, I guess the next step is for me to get the service manual for it.
I'm not opposed to a lot of soldering, I've built quite a few kits over the years and enjoyed it. First I guess I need to determine exactly what is bad.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to procede with the least risk of more damage? For example, I know that resistor is getting really hot, but I've been powering down before it toasts. Should I lift it to open the path? Or separate the drivers? Hmmm, maybe the service manual will give me more understanding and a plan of attack. I guess I need to know how to test the drivers/predrivers first.

Gerry

If you remove that resistor it will separate the power amp and pre driver. The pre-driver is the flat pack on the circuit board, the power amp is fastened to the side panel. In the case of the pre-driver pin 5 is not soldered, that will orient you. Pin 15 will have about 45 volts DC on it, pins 13 and 14 should not have more than 5 volts on either one. Measure this between the pins and the chassis.

For the power amp you can measure at either of the two coils on the board - that is the output ahead of the relay. There should be little or no voltage there measured from coil to chassis.

ML, that's very helpful info, thank you. I'm going to try to find time one night this week to look at that.
Gerry

Back
Top Bottom