Yamaha CX-1 Thread

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by Bratwurst7s, Sep 30, 2017.

1. mcgjohn

mcgjohn New Member

also forgot to mention, as long as you have the bottom cover off, look for cracked solder joints where the RCA jacks are soldered to the PCB.

See attached pics.

Attached Files:

808_state and Bratwurst7s like this.
  2. Bratwurst7s

Bratwurst7s In The Frying Pan Subscriber

Thanks John! Looking forward to seeing more. And I have lots of questions. :)

I probably won't be touching up every solder joint but will definitely be re-flowing all of them where there is mechanical or thermal stress. Jacks etc and regulators etc.

Have you noticed the cap discrepancy concerning C206 & C211 in the 0DB-Amp section? Signal path coupling caps, schematic and parts list show 2.2µF. 1x 2.2µF & 1x 22µF installed. If so what did you do?

What caps do you use to replace Elna Duorex? What special attributes do the Holco Copper resistors have?

The bridge rectifier appears to be a long skinny affair. What did you use to replace it? I haven't looked at the pin-out yet. Is it possible to use 4x Vishay SBYV27-200 ultra fast/soft recovery diodes in it's place?

Cheers,
    James

3. Jygesq

Jygesq Well-Known Member

when I was going to buy a Yamaha Preamp through sound saleman's discount. I talked to a tech person at Yamaha. He told me NOT to buy the Cx-1 , but the Cx-2. He stated Yamaha was having cold solder issues with C-x1. That was in 1997.

4. Bratwurst7s

Before I bought my CX-1 I took the time to use the search function and look up all of the AK threads concerning it. Seems that sooner or later you show up in every thread and make that statement.

Do you have a speck of personal experience to expand on that statement? As one person said earlier, I'd be far more ready to believe that your tech needed to sell of a backlog of CX-2's or had some kind of personal agenda than that specificly the CX-1 had more issues than any other piece of Yamaha gear. All electronics will eventually have solder issues, and a lot of Yamaha gear has them. I'm quite sceptical that this pre-amp is special in that regard.

In any case, the CX-2 has all of the video through-put and DAC schnik-schnak that specificly I don't want. And the CX-1 is purely analog 2-channel audio oriented, which is exactly what I do want. And soldering issues can be dealt with with a soldering station, some solder and a few hours of work.

Cheers,
    James

808_state likes this.
  5. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Got the solder iron a little to close.:biggrin: upload_2017-11-4_17-35-16.png

6. Bratwurst7s

Heh heh. I found out with my AX-750 that that plastic frame melts very quickly. And that it blocks access to key solder points. There's really no good choice but to lift the boards.

What I find more interesting is to compare the photo with the bottom photo of my unit. There are no component ID silk screen markings on my pre-amp.

Cheers,
    James

7. 808_state

808_state Active Member

Spending more time with the CX-1 phono today and it continues to come alive. Listening to my Elektra dmm copy of Master of Puppets (not even the greatest pressing) and it shows some real fury and depth of sound with lots of slam in the drums. Very happy and can't wait to see what improvements Brat comes up with.

Bratwurst7s likes this.
  8. Bratwurst7s

I've had mine for what, just over a month now? I've used it close to every single day. Very happy.

I've been exploring different elco options. I see now that KZ's don't come in values greater than 1000µF, and with a max usable dia of 16mm for the various 2200µF choices are starting to get limited. Nichicon FG 2200µF/25v will fit, 35v won't. Panasonic FC 35v will fit, might be a good option to replace the Elna brown caps. I still have to look at Nichicon KL. Then I'll compare their specs and make some choices there. One thing about Nichicon FG's in larger values that concerns me is that in the past when I measured new ones a lot of them measured somewhat low fresh out of the box

I don't picture getting into doing a bunch of mods with this unit, but am perfectly willing to look at the options. I probably will add 0.1µF Wima film bybass to signal path caps. I'm curious about why replacing the shunt resistors with metal film would help, rather than replacing signal path resistors.

I do know from first-hand experience that replacing the bridge rectifier diodes in my CD player with ultra fast-soft recovery types gave audible improvements. I did an AB test with otherwise identical Denon DCD-1290 players and am a believer now. It remains to be seen if it's practical here, I haven't looked yet.

I've also been looking at what options there are with Nichicon KG for the main filter caps. Looks like there are some options with 5600µF and 6800µF Gold Tune type 2 but availability is the problem. If I knew for a fact that I could squeeze a 50mm tall cap in that would expand the options but that would just about be pushing up against the case top. Again, with my CD players there were interesting SQ improvements when I upped the main filter caps values. It's worth looking into. It would be helpful if I could find some specs for the Nichicon "Great Supply" caps but I'm striking out there.

I plan on making a partial parts order within a week, I need to order some caps to finish a cd player for my nephew so that he can have it somewhere near Christmas.

Cheers,
    James

9. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

KG " Superthrough" I'm assuming.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  10. Jygesq

Jygesq Well-Known Member

11. Jygesq

Jygesq Well-Known Member

this was just a call I made to Yamaha , I called as a yamaha sound sales man and was told that the CX-1 had cold solder issues and he advised me to buy CX-2 instead,. I did and have no concerns with my CX-2 which I have had since 1997. The excess video features do not concern me, I do not use them. The call was to Yamaha Headquarters in the USA. I took his advise . I do not know his motivation, but took his advise one Yamaha professional to a yamaha sound salesman. I could have bought either at 50% discount from list

12. mcgjohn

mcgjohn New Member

yes, quite correct. It was a B_ _ _ _ _ to get to that joint and not remove the board.....

There are a few other locations that are similar. On some solder points, you just have to remove the board to get to them.

13. Bratwurst7s

If that's the case the smallest SuperThrough is 6800µF/50v and is 80mm tall. There are a couple of Gold Tune Type II that look promising (5600µF and 6800µF) but have a 25 week back order time at Mouser. But if they prove to be the best choice I'll bite the bullet, order, and wait.

Cheers,
    James