Yamaha CX-1000 Refurb

belgianbrain

Decided to try a first class preamp in my main system to compare with the passive approach I've taken for years.

I've got a used Cx-1000 on the way.

Planning to do a bit of a renewal to it. I'm thinking Elna Silmic throughout, although it doesn't appear to have a lot of electrolytics in it.

Any suggestions on other things that should be done?

My CX-2000 had about about 150 electrolytic capacitors in it (it took a bit of time to change them out)! It's the same design as the CX-1000.

Yikes!! They must be hidden from view in the photos you see online with the top removed.

Looks like I'll have some work to do.

I think you'll find it very rewarding, I did! :bigok: I did a time-laps video of recapping the CX-2000. If you want to see it search for "CX-2000" on vimeo.com/watch.:rflmao:

...but there's lots of selection in a 6.3V 4700uF variety. Is there some tight space restriction or something?
I would not replace them with 6.3v.....Edit: I meant, if space is not an issue, I would replace them with the next voltage up, like 10v

That is awesome. I watched it.

I don't suppose you kept a list of the cap values required? :)

He did...:bigok:

Last edited:
OEM cap is 10mm x 20mm. I think theres some exra room diameter wise (10mm)..But I'm not sure if exceeding 20mm length will fit or not. The nichicons I have here are the same dimensions as the OEM caps.

belgianbrian,
I may have a capacitor list in Microsoft Excel format, I'll check later today when I get home.:rolleyes:

Here's my CX-2000 Capacitor List:
upload_2015-11-24_12-19-51.png
I can send you the original Excel file if you want it. I'm fairly sure I used a Nichicon-KA for the 4700 uF @ 6.3 V installed sideways with the cylinder of the capacitor laying on its side. Here's a link to one on digikey: Link

Note this list does not include capacitors for the video input board.

Awesome, thanks. I won't be recapping the video input board either.

Looks like you used film caps for the smaller values.

Anyone know of the top of their heads if this thing has any caps in the signal path? I see some BPs.

Last edited:
tubed,
I played with the digital out a bit on the CX-2000, I think they're simply passthroughs.:dunno: It doesn't seem to change the digital signal. Also, it also won't convert an analog signal to a digital (no A to D conversion) signal. I'm not sure but I don't think it will convert one form of digital input to the other form (i.e. input S/PDIF Coax and convert it to S/PDIF optical (TOSlink) output).

OEM cap is 10mm x 20mm. I think theres some exra room diameter wise (10mm)..But I'm not sure if exceeding 20mm length will fit or not. The nichicons I have here are the same dimensions as the OEM caps.

I see...so the length was the issue...Thanks!

I fashioned a couple out of VHS cassette.

could you plz post a close-up photo of that button/s

Back
Top Bottom