Yamaha DSP-A3090 speaker pairing for 2-channel stereo listening

Rjfod3

Hello all!

I've recently acquired a Yamaha DSP-A3090 for free when purchasing a pair of MB Quart QL 1002S floorstanders. At first thought, I assumed the guy just wanted to get rid of this thing for some apparent reason. Then, I picked this thing up and became suspect that this might be alright. It's heavy and the amp section seems very quality indeed. Then, I hooked it up to the speakers at home and I gotta say I'm dumbfounded. Absolutely incredible sound quality! These speakers are also indeed very impressive. They are 4 Ohm and rated at 90-200 watts. I'm curious as I cannot confirm specs after searching... is this amp rated for a 4 ohm load? Various site users have said that it pushes 160 watts per channel through the 2 main speakers. Is this a good pairing? Thanks.

You confirmed it yourself, 'dumbfounded'. I'm not surprised, it's a Yamaha, it's a match. The DSP A-3090 is a solid build, enjoy.

Last edited:
Should be fine, I have a yamaha rx-z7, from the same era. I'm running 4ohm kef fowers on mine without issue. Don't use the 4ohm setting, it'll limit power. It's really just there to hit efficiency standards. Mine runs pretty hot, there's even a warning sticker on top that it gets hot. I leave a laptop cooler on top of mine, powered by one of the switched power sockets on the unit.

I bought one cheaply and have it running as stereo only. The front cover has a damaged hinge. can anybody advise on adhesives that could get the problem sorted? Will post pics later. Its great for using as a simple integrated and also just to amplify TV sound. I am enjoying it but dont like the cosmetic issue with the broken cover over tone control knobs.

Just connected by NS 690's to this amp - using computer as source via Ares dac. Lovely as a easy flowing second system. Giving the NS 1000 and the rest a break. I am enjoying this setup.

Not at all surprising. MB Quart speakers are great sounding from the get go, and do well when paired with Yamaha amps.

FYI, I've been using Yamaha amps to drive 4 ohm loads for more than 30 years. In fact I don't think that I've ever actually had a pair of 8 ohm speakers hooked up to any of the different Yamaha amps that I've had or have now. They have always delivered great sound with no problems.

Wait. The 2 Canton GL 260's that I have wired in series for the center channel on the RX-V3900 are an 8 ohm load. But the fronts and rears are 4 ohm. The amp never really gets more than barely warm.

Cheers,
James

Years ago, at the CD/DVD plant where I worked, my manager asked me to put together a demo system, that would show off our then new DVD test pressings. So, I spec'd out a DSP-A3090, along with NHT VT-2 towers, and their matching VS-2 (?) center and surrounds. Plus, a state-of-the-art at the time Toshiba 16:9 wide screen projection set...!!! When I submitted the quote, my boss thought I was crazy. He hadn't heard of NHT, and he wondered how the Yamaha would power everything??? But, he trusted me, and ordered my suggestions as-is. Well, the gear arrived, and the dealer set it up, and everyone was floored by how good it sounded! They couldn't believe it sounded so nice. That the Yamaha could power those tower speakers. The kicker; the very next week, my boss told me that he just ordered the exact same system, for his home...! Success! :D I ordered a DSP-A3090 a week behind my boss...!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Just because it's B doesn't mean it's P or C! :D

I've been very happy with my RX-V850 for two-channel only, so much so that it displaced my sparkly, pristine, restored CA-810 - and that was not a decision I was particularly wanting to make in terms of aesthetics or in terms of what I had invested in the respective pieces. But sound is the great equalizer.

Back
Top Bottom