Yamaha DVP A1000 One of their Best or just a Beast?

I appreciate your responses and would greatly appreciate any literature on this piece that you can send my way as I intend to keep it. I have seen other references to the troublesome input selector switch but the occasional scratchy sound has been gone since giving it a good DeOxit bath and it has not given me a bit of problems. Maybe I have just got lucky with it.

I have seen some references between this amp and a previous 2-channel model A-1000 amp. Is this amp basically the same amp but just with Video and DSP sections added? Would this unit be considered a Class A/B amp or is that rating not applicable because this is considered a A/V receiver?

It's a class A/B amp. It doesn't have anything in common with the older 2 channel A-1000 except the name. That one is a 120wpc integrated from the early 80's. Also very nice sounding but it's a Yamaha so no surprise there at all.

It's a class A/B amp. It doesn't have anything in common with the older 2 channel A-1000 except the name. That one is a 120wpc integrated from the early 80's. Also very nice sounding but it's a Yamaha so no surprise there at all.

Thanks for the info! It is sometimes difficult to find the lineage since manufacturers often recycle model numbers.

Thanks for the info! It is sometimes difficult to find the lineage since manufacturers often recycle model numbers.

For sure. Yamaha makes this even harder as they use different model numbers for nearly identical products AND the same model number for completely different products depending on where they are supposed to end up.
I've got a US market A-1000 and a Japanese market A-950 which are just about identical aside from the Japanese amp having a bit more shielding. The Japanese market A-1000 is a completely different amp both inside and out.
I have fun playing detective and trying to figure out what goes where.

I have a Yamaha S2700 that has been sitting on the sidelines because of a sticking drawer. I was thinking of pairing it up with the DSP-A1000.
Any tips advice on using it or tweaking this combo to get maximum audio performance?

Well the dreaded Input Selector Gremlin showed up tonight. It acts as if it is frozen. The display moves to the correct input but the selector does not move. I can manually turn it to the correct input. Once it is playing the correct source it sounds fantastic!

I am guessing from what I've read there is no fixing this except for replacing the selector.

Well the dreaded Input Selector Gremlin showed up tonight. It acts as if it is frozen. The display moves to the correct input but the selector does not move. I can manually turn it to the correct input. Once it is playing the correct source it sounds fantastic!

I am guessing from what I've read there is no fixing this except for replacing the selector.
One of the pitfalls of older gear.Only you can decide if its worth pursuing.I have some gear that it developes problems I'll just move it on as is.

One of the pitfalls of older gear.Only you can decide if its worth pursuing.I have some gear that it developes problems I'll just move it on as is.

Oh I have been down that road. That's partly why so much of my systems have come from thrifts or Craigslist. You can find a piece that members think highly of for $20 give it a go and as soon as it develops a major problem you move on.

In this case I think it's just a dirty switch as I gave it another DeOxit bath last night and its working fine. Who knows how long this has been sitting so it might just need some TLC for a bit of time.
As long as I am getting clear sound and no channel dropping then I can live with the occasional need to turn the selector switch manually.

I tried the phono section last night for the first time and I thought it was very good. It has a Laserdisc connection which I also made use of and I played Joni Mitchell's "Shadow and Light" concert on it and it sounded great.

Hopefully I can keep the gremlins away as I really like the sound of this amp.

As long as you can keep it going cool.I've had a couple of thrift store finds that I can tell had not been used in years.Once I bathed them and started used them consistently they were just fine.I like Yamaha gear.I have this particular pieces counterpart from back in the day.The Pioneer VSX D1S.

IMG_0937.JPG So I have been very impressed and happy with this unit in stereo mode but there has been an itch to hear it as intended or at least close to as it was intended. So yesterday I did a bit of rearranging (will it never end... ) to at least add a couple of rear speakers. Placement is not optimal for several reasons but primarily room size.
Hooked up a pair of Paradigm Atoms and dropped in the Reference Gold Surroundsound version of Vivaldi's Four seasons and set it on one of the Concert Hall parameters. Wow! Just wow!! So much depth and presence added that it's hard to believe that this only two pair of bookshelf speakers. :D

The DSP-A1000 was the TOTL unit in 1991. I sold them in Australia and they were AU$1999 each. We sold a ton of them and they easily outperformed the Pioneer VSX-D1S at the time.

They have an Achilles heel. The motorised input selector. Very difficult rebuild to solve intermittent channel/dropouts. If yours is working well, enjoy it. Any of the Yamaha remotes will operate it.

PS, if you want a scan of the original Yamaha brochure, I can put it in this thread.

Enjoy.
This post is a few years old but, what the hell. Restorer-John- I recently acquired a Yamaha DSP A-1000 with no remote. Which remotes would work if I can’t acquire the OEM? Any Yamaha remote? If you do receive this, thanks.

This post is a few years old but, what the hell. Restorer-John- I recently acquired a Yamaha DSP A-1000 with no remote. Which remotes would work if I can’t acquire the OEM? Any Yamaha remote? If you do receive this, thanks.
I have an original remote control for the DSP A-1000 in excellent condition if you are still interested. I decided to use the amp section only of my unit for the Mains and Center of my HT set-up, so I really don’t need it anymore. Just let me know!

I had one of these AV receivers for several years, from about '05-'13. Used it for a few years early on. I thought it was a pretty good unit overall, but ultimately it wasn't what I wanted/needed so it was pulled and stored away until I moved. At that time it was deemed expendable, and donated.

My understanding is that these were released in '86, and one of the first of the AV receiver genre. I played around with the various DSP modes, but never used them beyond that. I used the DSP A-1000 with JBL L100 and Yamaha NS-1000M speakers -- not at high volumes, of course, but for general use the DSP A-1000 was fine.

@snikp642 Welcome to AK! It is very nice of you to offer yoho the remote you have.

When I see something like that all in one chassis I want to run for the hills. Give me separates every time. Yamaha did the same thing back in the 90's and 2000's and you always had to worry about having plenty of air and using whisper fans when installed in consoles or secluded spaces because they would all self destruct, the fans only pro longed the inevitable. Coupling caps and power supply caps would go first especially for customers who turned their systems on and never turned them off. I don't care if the ambient temp was only 90 degrees or less after a year or so the Yamaha stuff just quit. Marantz Mcintosh, B&K stereo stuff, Tandberg B&O Mitsubishi, Sony all just kept working and working. Back in the 70's it was Sansui, Pioneer and even Ken wood would keep working when the Yamaha stuff stopped working.

I know Yamaha has supposedly got their act together, but when I see a piece like that with everything crammed together it reminds me about what I disliked about Yamaha the most. Its durability.

I have an original remote control for the DSP A-1000 in excellent condition if you are still interested. I decided to use the amp section only of my unit for the Mains and Center of my HT set-up, so I really don’t need it anymore. Just let me know!
Hellio, thanks for the offer. How much would you like for the remote? Send me an email and we can figure it out. Oyloeyori@hotmail.com

When I see something like that all in one chassis I want to run for the hills. Give me separates every time. Yamaha did the same thing back in the 90's and 2000's and you always had to worry about having plenty of air and using whisper fans when installed in consoles or secluded spaces because they would all self destruct, the fans only pro longed the inevitable. Coupling caps and power supply caps would go first especially for customers who turned their systems on and never turned them off. I don't care if the ambient temp was only 90 degrees or less after a year or so the Yamaha stuff just quit. Marantz Mcintosh, B&K stereo stuff, Tandberg B&O Mitsubishi, Sony all just kept working and working. Back in the 70's it was Sansui, Pioneer and even Ken wood would keep working when the Yamaha stuff stopped working.

I know Yamaha has supposedly got their act together, but when I see a piece like that with everything crammed together it reminds me about what I disliked about Yamaha the most. durability.
Had a technics reciever that you could cook on that never failed.It might of been a 90,s model.

My understanding is that these were released in '86, and one of the first of the AV receiver genre.
Just reviewing this thread, and ran across my post -- this is incorrect information.

Restorer-John pointed out these were available in '91.

Back
Top Bottom