Yamaha GT-2000 vs Technics SL-1200G

MannyE

Exterminate!
Having never heard either turntable, but on paper, they are very similar...

Both have legendary status, rabid fans, stellar reviews and are priced (including shipping from Japan in the case of the Yamaha) about the same.

I like the vintage-chic and rarity the Yamaha enjoys, and since I have as the centerpiece of my vintage system a CR-2020 "mini-monster" receiver, it would make the entire system Yammy.

However, the SL also has the vintage look going on, but has the added element of being a brand new design and all the perks that go along with being brand new. It's also not going to be like the SL of old, manufactured in the hundreds of thousands, so, like the GT, will likely hold on to its value a little better.

I will likely also not be able to audition a GT before I spend a few thousand bucks to get it home...

Help me out guys!

I think you have your answer already - you have an all Yamaha vintage system so this is a logical centerpiece to complete it. The Technics is a very logical choice and would be an excellent table. But is this the place for logic, or emotion ?

jblnut

I think you have your answer already - you have an all Yamaha vintage system so this is a logical centerpiece to complete it. The Technics is a very logical choice and would be an excellent table. But is this the place for logic, or emotion ?

jblnut

Well.... no! But I don't want to cheat myself out of the better source.... (I know.... there I go with the logic again ;) )

IMHO there is no "better" here. Both are top tier DD tables that will perform superbly. The real decision factor should be - do you want a 30 year old table, or a new one ? There's no question that the GT will need service at some point sooner than the SL. So if you let logic rule the decision it has to be the SL. Why would anyone spend a few thousand on a 30 year old table? That's crazy, right ? Especially when a brand new SL is available and it's gotten rave reviews.

By the way, if you do choose the crazy route you'll be in good company here with the rest of us :)

jblnut

I'd vote GT2000 too, because a/ I'm a bit of a Yamaha fanboy and think they're incredible and b/ I've just got a Kenwood KP-1100 so I'm also a vintage turntable fanboy!

So the Yammy wins on both counts (for me) :)

I'd vote GT2000 too, because a/ I'm a bit of a Yamaha fanboy and think they're incredible and b/ I've just got a Kenwood KP-1100 so I'm also a vintage turntable fanboy!

So the Yammy wins on both counts (for me) :)

How can I argue with someone who lives where they film Doctor Who?

So assuming I am leaning towards the GT 2000, which flavor? 2000? 2000X? (you can all safely assume I'm leaning towards the Yammy... you guys are good!)

How can I argue with someone who lives where they film Doctor Who?

So assuming I am leaning towards the GT 2000, which flavor? 2000? 2000X? (you can all safely assume I'm leaning towards the Yammy... you guys are good!)

I used to work in a Post-Production house right next to BBC Roath Lock Studio, where the Production Team for Doctor Who is based, which is just a two-minute walk to where the Doctor Who Experience is. In fact, a number of years back I even worked for the BBC on Doctor Who Confidential (end of Tennant/start of Smith era) and met a whole bunch of the crew and actors...

As for the GT2000, the X is obviously the ultimate but (from what I understand) something of a rare bird, as they were expensive so probably didn't sell in huge numbers when new. Personally I think I could live with any model! I think there was a 2000L on HiFi Do (from where I bought my KP-1100) recently, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's sold by now!

You'll be a rock star if you can get an X - and the envy of us all ! I got the L for the auto-lift and I liked the walnut color better than the black. YMMV...

jblnut

I saw only two while working as I remember. We had a big AirForce SAC base and still have a large Army base. Soldiers stationed over seas were always bringing back items that weren't available in the states or ones with very limited distribution they could easily find in the Orient. I guess this is the case with this turntable. Items we sold from Yamaha in the states didn't come close mechanically to this table. If fact Yamaha had a very bad reputation as far as our shop was concerned. Cassette machines were always jamming or locking up caused by either abuse but mostly parts failures. In fact even Yamaha turntables didn't perform well. None of them met specs or were just marginally acceptable. The 2000 was different breed of cat from what I saw. But that said the 2 tables we had in the shop couldn't be fixed because we couldn't get parts. So the solders would get there buddies to take them back to Japan to sell. Then they would buy big Technics. I'm not saying the units were poorly made. The voltage set up might have been wrong I don't know. They were beautiful. I would have loved to seen one that worked.

I consider the YAL-1 (auto lift) and YOP-1 (external power supply) standard equipment for the GT-2000.

Hmmmmm I can see that this Yamaha is a rabbit hole. A veritable Watership down of complications and costs. Which is why the search for a GT2000 has begun!

I had no idea what a Yamaha GT-2000 is (please don't hate me), so I Googled it. I'm an SL-1200MK3 owner, so you would think I would say got for the Technics.. But being a big Yamaha fan for AV and Motorcycles and now knowing what the GT-2000 is.. Get one of them. they are dead sexy.

Does anybody know where you can actually buy one of the new Technics tables? I saw a list of dealers on their site but don't see any for sale from online sources. Maybe I'm just inept at Googling but was surprised I wasn't hit with a bunch of buying options when you plug in Technics sl 1200g for sale into Google.

Does anybody know where you can actually buy one of the new Technics tables? I saw a list of dealers on their site but don't see any for sale from online sources. Maybe I'm just inept at Googling but was surprised I wasn't hit with a bunch of buying options when you plug in Technics sl 1200g for sale into Google.

I'm guessing the quantity is limited (at least for now), so selling them thru dealers only kind of acts as a bottleneck.

I still kick myself for not buying a 1200MK2 on Amazon (new) for so many years. My lowly SL-D202 was sufficient at the time I guess :)

If you don't want to go thru the listed dealers there is always ebay. Just saw some on there. Kinda pricey though, more than the Yammi would be that's for sure.

Cool, thanks for the info. I have an older MK2, but the new ones look nice. I'll wait until they become more plentiful and maybe pick one up used eventually.

Back
Top Bottom