Yamaha K-1020 3-head Cassette Deck -$20

P. Shivers

Necessity Conquers Fear
This eBay auction has a Yamaha K-1020 3-head cassette deck for a $20 buy-it-now price. Not mine, but I have the same deck, and it is a very nice top-of-the-line piece of equipment.

Wow, if I didn't have one already (has Dolby HX Pro and DBX recording/encoding), I'd get it. Not sure what you have found PS, but if I haven't used my deck for a while (original owner) it can take a bit of time for the direct-drive motors to get-a-full-grip. I warm mine up for about 15 minutes and it still sounds as sweet as the day I bought it in 1987.

20 bucks, eh? Hmm....:D

That is tempting. I wonder how much he is going to charge for shipping?

The auction description says $20 for shipping in the continental US. So you get the deck for $40 all up. That sounds very reasonable! If it was silver faced, I might grab it, but I don't need another black tape deck.

The auction description says $20 for shipping in the continental US. So you get the deck for $40 all up. That sounds very reasonable! If it was silver faced, I might grab it, but I don't need another black tape deck.

Wow, it still hasn't sold! This deck sold for $650 new, in the mid '80s. I haven't had any issues with tape speed on mine, but I did get it serviced right after I purchased it, since the belt had turned to a sticky black goo.

Looks like someone bought it.

Excellent deck. Very clean sound as expected from Yamaha. One of the easier bias adjustments.

I lost out on a listing last year that went for $129 with manual and corded remote.

Jumped at a chance on craigslist for $70 with manual and remote. Seller prepping it for my demo tested and found it was not playing, FF, REW or record and I got it for free. Lubed and cleaned pinch rollers and got it to work. Still my main every day tape deck.

I have a number of DBX encoded tapes (recorded by me--some live) that when recorded could be saturated with source material and then played-back in DBX. These recordings sound just beautiful.

I pulled the trigger. I have tons of tapes from back in the day and would love to listen to them again.

You're going to be amazed how good those old tapes sound on this deck.:yes: I've owned a number of cassette decks over the years, and the K-1020 is the best sounding deck I've heard to date.

You're going to be amazed how good those old tapes sound on this deck.:yes: I've owned a number of cassette decks over the years, and the K-1020 is the best sounding deck I've heard to date.

Cool! It will be fun listining to some compilations I made some 25 years ago. :D

I got the deck today and it looks very minty. I did have some troubles getting it to play Once I opened it up I found one of the switches had become missaligned due to shipping. I quick fix and now I am reliving my past with a bunch of old mix tapes that I had stored for many years. Thanks Mr. Shivers for the heads up.

great deck for peanuts i liked the real glass door and soundquality on mine back than.
and as bonus you can wind cassette in two speeds

K-1020

I had bought one while I was in the Navy through the Exchange. After getting into CD's I sold it while I was in Guam. Well, now I know better? and got one off of CL a couple of months ago the complete my "1020" collection.

But.... where can I find belts for this? My brief search didn't turn up anything other that generics.

I had bought one while I was in the Navy through the Exchange. After getting into CD's I sold it while I was in Guam. Well, now I know better? and got one off of CL a couple of months ago the complete my "1020" collection.

But.... where can I find belts for this? My brief search didn't turn up anything other that generics.

Good luck on the belts. Mine are still ok but I am sure I will need some in the future.

Back
Top Bottom