Yamaha Love

3 stereos, 1 motorcycle, 2 guitars....

and a car. Sort of - Yamaha designed the high-performance engine for the Corolla XRS, which ended up being good enough to put in the Lotus Exige too.

When I got serious about this hobby about 35 years ago there was a particular view on quality equipment in my neck of the woods. Here in South Africa we believed in British is best and Japanese is junk. US manufactured goods were few and far between and only available at really high prices at selected dealers. Most stores sold cheaper Japanese stuff in high volumes. Few higher end dealers sold high end Japanese stuff but at very high prices. The British Hi Fi press and prices dictated preferences of most Middle of the road hi fi enthusiasts. Cambridge Audio, Creek, NAD, Quad, Naim, Linn, B&W, AR stuff, Mordant-Short & Mission were the preferred choices. I was offered a Yamaha system of a friend after he took ill and no longer listened to his "big system". I bought the lot (amplifiers, speakers, CD player, turntable) and never looked back since then as it was the best quality sound I had ever had in my home. I have been buying Yamaha gear ever since and particularly enjoy the build quality and sound of most of the speakers and amplifiers I picked up along the way. The only non - Yamaha amplifiers in my household are a NAD 3020B (which I use with Yamaha NS10 speakers in a home office) and a Pioneer A 400 my spouse uses in the kitchen dining area. I see the years of anti Japanese product sentiments as wasted years in audio for me. High quality and musical sound I get from my Yamaha stuff works very well for me and that's how its going to stay.

I recently purchased a CR-800 and find myself overwhelmed at every turn: build quality, design, quality of parts, sound, FM tuning section, ease of maintenance (only need a multimeter to adjust the amp!)--it is one of the best-built things I have ever come across.

When I was 30, I drove across the States and back on a '79 XS-1100 Special. It was shaft drive, four cylinders, and never let me down once. I drove it everywhere the trees weren't too close together, through the desert, in torrential rain, in snow--extremely reliable and powerful. I have nothing but good memories about that Yamaha.

Edit: And an 88-key Yamaha keyboard! If they made underwear I'd buy it from them, too

@birchoak
2017-Summer-Yamaha-Women-Compression-Shorts-Lady-Underwear-Quick-Dry-Shorts-Base-Layer-3-Colors.jpg

Yamaha was an acquired taste for me.It took some late night listening with the variable loudness on a CR620 a number of years ago to ignite the spark.Mainly a receiver guy but I really dig my M-50.My receivers cannot be beat for receivers.Doesn't get any better to me than a RXZ9 and three RXV1s.Can't forget the RXV3200 also.I have other Yamahas too.

I just am glad there are others who feel the same way. This hobby gets to crazy sometimes with all the esoteric brands...
Gets? It has always been a hobby/business of snake oil. Why? Because you can't measure it! I am a numbers guy, not a golden ear, and Yamaha gear just sounds so much cleaner than anything else I can afford it isn't even a contest. It is also nice that they have achieved more of the best "specs" of any other audio company in history, consistently.
I choose my cars based on engineering, capability/performance for price, build quality, and ease of maintenance. Why should I buy audio gear any differently?

I have had a variety of Yamaha components but I have never owned a receiver/amp until Wednesday when I picked up a DSP-A1000 at a local thrift. Very impressive!! I going to add my S2700 DVD/SACD player today and have my first Yamaha combo.

I have had a variety of Yamaha components but I have never owned a receiver/amp until Wednesday when I picked up a DSP-A1000 at a local thrift. Very impressive!! I going to add my S2700 DVD/SACD player today and have my first Yamaha combo.

I bet the 1000/2700 combo will make an excellent pairing.
I've been using a DVDS-2300 as my main player for a few years now and love it for both CD and SACD use. The performance is great and the price you can pick these old universal players up for is also great. I've never even had a monitor hooked up to mine, only 2 channel use.

I've heard good things about that S2700 and come close to buying one a few times. I'm very interested in your opinions especially when connected to your new amp. Also, how are CD loading times with the player? The one thing that has stopped me from buying one is that CD loading times can be very long in some DVD players.

Cheers,
James

I like Yamaha guitars and organs, their motorcycles and watercraft are also nice.

Dollar for dollar their pianos are quite nice as well, though I'm partial to the feel of a kawai if we're talking Japanese pianos. :)

I play a medium sized Yamaha Grand about twice a month at church and it's a great little instrument. The nicest non-concert Grand I've played was one labeled made in West Germany, I'm blanking on the maker right now, but it's touch/weighting and pedal control was incredible.

IMG_0930.JPG
I've heard good things about that S2700 and come close to buying one a few times. I'm very interested in your opinions especially when connected to your new amp. Also, how are CD loading times with the player? The one thing that has stopped me from buying one is that CD loading times can be very long in some DVD players.

Cheers,
James

James

If you can pick up S2700 I highly recommend it. Paired with the DSP-A1000 it has more depth and overall better soundstage than the Denon 2910 that it replaced.

Here is a pic of this Yamaha combo in their new surroundings.

Back
Top Bottom