Yamaha M-50?

Seems reasonable If it is in good working order , maybe offer him a little less ?

I have really enjoyed the M-40 and M-45. They have that nice Yamaha sound and can run a 2 ohm load without breaking a sweat.

The small pushbutton switches are (very) flimsy.

Just actuate the very small (irreplacable) switches on the front.
Especially the A/B switch. Physically it works angled (mechanically, that is why it is irreplaceble except if you have the same one new).
The A/B switch is switching the relays as well as the volume pots.

Apart from that, check for physical leakage of the caps. I did have to replace one capacitor in the back of the amp close to the relays in the circuit card.

So far, this is what was the situation with an amp I had. On the picture, you see the small switch which switches the display. Oriented from the PICTURE, you would push up the white platic piece so it would actuate the switch going in and out from left to right.

m50sw.jpg

All that was said above.Mine has the flimsy speaker switches that are broken.I just don't use them.I really like this amp.If you can get for $150 it is worth it with tuner.

5 years ago I paid $100 for a fairly nice unit, like you I didn't need it. It's lower on the Yamaha totem pole but it's a decent amp. It's better than my Adcom 535 & 545. At that time I would judge an amp by how well it would drive my B&W 805 matrix (speakers that love power) and it got the job done better than I thought it would. If you have a multimeter you could measure the DC being presented to the speakers( see Echo Wars sticky under Solid State). If its a clean unit I'd buy it. We had the power go off and a surge when it can back on. The M50 blew a fuse but the speakers survived. Speaker protection is a big plus for me.

Back
Top Bottom