Yamaha M-70 Question

green87

I am considering buying an M-70 to power my Infinity RS-IIIb's. My main concern is how well it will be able to drive them since I have heard they can be fairly demanding, dropping as low as 2 ohms. My alternative choice is an Adcom 555 which I have been told works very well with them. Any advice would be appreciated.

The first amp I tried with my RS IIs went into protection, but I've since used M-70, M-80 and MX-1 with good results. I listen to that system at a pretty high level for good dynamic contrast, but I never turn it stupid loud, that's what JBLs are for.

I would choose the Adcom. In a general sense, Yamaha designed amps for 8 ohm speakers.

It's seems to have become an acceptable mistruth about Infinity speaker systems being amp killers, when in fact the Kappa 9's are the only notorious ones. Other Infinitys just simply love and require more juice.
The RS IIIb is really not that demanding of speaker to the point where it's going to screw up your amplifier and just like most speaker systems would love to be driven by a high powered, high current amplifier.
The Yamaha M-70 seems to drive my QLS-2's quite effortlessly.

I would choose the Adcom. In a general sense, Yamaha designed amps for 8 ohm speakers.

FWIW, all the manuals for my Yamaha amps clearly give a 4 ohm power rating, and a 2 ohm dynamic power rating. Not sure I'd use them on steady 2 ohm load though.

Never had any technical problems using them on my Paradigm Studio 100s that spend a fair bit of time at or below 4 ohms with a minimum of 2.5 ohms or so.

Thanks for all the advice. It sounds like the M-70 will work fine for my application. I don't plan to blast my music too loud so the speakers hopefully won't put too much load on the amp. I also prefer the look of the M-70 to the Adcom with it's meters on the front.

Thanks for all the advice. It sounds like the M-70 will work fine for my application. I don't plan to blast my music too loud so the speakers hopefully won't put too much load on the amp. I also prefer the look of the M-70 to the Adcom with it's meters on the front.

I have had this amp for about 18 months now and though quite unassuming in appearance the M-70 can perform some grunting when called upon to do so.:D

Yank

Back
Top Bottom