Yamaha M-70 Thread

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by Bratwurst7s, Jan 17, 2018.

1. zaibatsu

zaibatsu Well-Known Member

Thanks James,
    I actually meant the ones you used in this post:
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/yamaha-m-70-thread.805670/page-10#post-11497534
    They looked thicker than the 3296 I've used in the past (I liked the idea of that because the 3296s can rock / bend a bit easy if bumped, just my OCD), but I realise now you shared the model already (3299-Y). It might just be my eyes and they're actually the same width? I'll check the spec sheet.

Also I just noticed the finished pictures of the speaker posts, stunning work!

Last edited: May 1, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Bratwurst7s

Bratwurst7s In The Frying Pan Subscriber

You are correct. I just looked at the datasheets and the 3299 body is 6.1mm thick (including the small stand-offs) and the 3296 are 4.85mm.

Concerning the speaker posts, Thanks! I'm really happy with how they turned out. I just bought some 6mm² speaker wire to replace the 4mm² that I've been using. I just have to decide if I'm going to use bannana plugs, cable shoes or bare wire and then they will get switched.

I just got notice that the MX-1 will finally ship today. He said that the shipping weight is 32kilos, so I have a feeling that DHL will decide that I wasn't home and deliver straight to the post office for pick-up.

Cheers,
    James

3. Bratwurst7s

So, finally. After 4.5 weeks and the single most aggravating ebay experience yet, the MX-1 arrived today.

The seller was a complete jerk concerning shipment (went on vacation and didn't see to it that the package was picked up). But he did do a very good job of packaging. I'm only posting 1 pic here, the rest of that story will be told in the soon to be started MX-1 thread.

DSC05319.jpg

So now I can finally move forward with finishing the M-70. I've been enjoying it a lot the last month. As soon as I get the MX-1 opened up and finalize my cap choices I will finally dig back in with the '70.

Cheers,
    James

4. Oldsansui441

Oldsansui441 AK Subscriber Subscriber

That MX-1 looks to be in great condition, nice pickup.

zaibatsu and Bratwurst7s like this.
  5. Bratwurst7s

Thanks! After only one song played I'm already thinking that it will never leave.

My son asked what I'm doing with the M-70 now that I have the MX-1. I told him that it's going to a friend that wants it. I didn't lie. My son is a friend and I can tell that he wouldn't object to having the amp. ;)

Cheers,
    James

Oldsansui441, OMGCat! and zaibatsu like this.
  6. Oldsansui441

No doubt it sounds excellent with plenty of headroom, l really like that simple yet stylish look also. I think all Yamaha's from this era with the slightly curved faceplates look very good.

Exactly, no lie at all. Bet he will love it.

7. Bratwurst7s

I placed a large order with Mouser today that included several different types of LEDs for the power switch. Orange, yellow and amber. I can't say that I fully understand the major difference between yellow and amber but will have both to try out. And since they have the Bourns 3296Y trimpots I bought some of them also.

Cheers,
    James

8. zaibatsu

Stealth outside, serious business inside!

Excited to see what's going into it.
    Also it sounds like your son wants the M-70, maybe if you string him along a little longer he'll buy his own and you can keep both. ;)

Bratwurst7s likes this.
  9. Bratwurst7s

Nah. I wouldn't know what to do with both of them. Besides, I'm running out of room.

Cheers,
    James

10. zaibatsu

Kidding, suspect if that actually happened the family amp restoring expert would just end up with more work.

Was meant to go in the MX-1 thread, oops!

Bratwurst7s likes this.
  11. Bratwurst7s

I understood anyway somehow. The dancing LEDs of the M-70 brought back a lot of good memories of sitting in front of my old M-50 with friends and jamming to great tunes. But in truth they can be a bit distracting. I do like the quiet understated looks of the later CX/MX/AX gear. Just sits there looking like "Who? Me?". And then creates thunder and lightning. The M-70 has just a tad more sizzle on the upper end tho.

Cheers,
    James

Oldsansui441 and zaibatsu like this.

12. Bratwurst7s

I now have a pile of 3x types of orange LEDs, 3x types of amber and 2x of yellow to play with, as well as some 20 turn trim-pots.

Work has been brutal. Our little elevator dept is a 3 man shop. The foreman is seriously sick and has been out for 3 months now. The 2nd in command was sick for 3 weeks and just made it back to work. So I've been busyier than a 1 legged tap dancer.

So I've been looking over at my workbench from time to time and thinking, "Yep. I'm gonna get busy with that thing real soon. Yep. Mebbe after I have another beer. Or tomorrow."

Cheers,
    James

OMGCat! likes this.
  13. Bratwurst7s

I finally started testing the LED's today. Again, I just used my bench PSU and pushed them into the switch glove. All of the orange ones are far too orange, almost getting into red. And the yellow ones actually look deep orange also. I've settled on a choice between 2x amber ones. They look pretty good, a light to medium orange. I'll make my choice tomorrow and take/post some photos.

Cheers,
    James

Oldsansui441 likes this.
  14. Bratwurst7s

OK. So this was a sucess concerning the power switch LED.

The 2 finalists were both Cree oval amber, C566C-AFE-CU0W0252 and C566D-AFE-CV0X251. They are actually almost identical with the exception that the 1st one is 2500 mcd 70x35° and the 2nd one is 3200 mcd 70x30°. Both are 2.1v 20mA. And one nice thing, both of them don't have a flange that would have to be removed to let them fit full depth in the rubber glove. Their being oval didn't seem to make any noticeable difference in illumination. I used a 470 ohm 1/2w Vishay metal film resistor.

https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMtmwHDZQCdlqbg3pWP5pDcoxmiffd2FAUQ=
    https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail...mwHDZQCdlqVFlG8iQtBnfJZFkxsXEIyfk2tXptEqoTA==

DSC05490.jpg DSC05492.jpg DSC05493.jpg DSC05494.jpg DSC05497.jpg

I ended up using the C566C-AFE-CU0W0252. It looks real nice in person, better than the photo shows.

I wanted to get a lot more done today but ended up using most of the day removing our old dishwasher, oven and cooktop and cleaning the kitchen in prep for the new ones arriving tomorrow.

LOL. I took the week off to decompress and play with some audio goodness. I've been working 9 hours+ a day building a cabinet bed, rearranging rooms, cleaning and etc. But at least I'm getting some extra points built up in the WAF account.

Cheers,
    James

amr2 likes this.
  15. Oldsansui441

Very nice, that amber looks spot on :thumbsup:.

Bratwurst7s likes this.