Yamaha M-85 Slightly Disappointing?

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by lambord, Mar 14, 2017.

1. swanng

swanng New Member

I like the fact that the Yamaha is 'defiantly' louder. ;)

Sandstrom likes this.
  2. timblade68

timblade68 Active Member

I remember auditioning the 801's powered though some Yamaha separates when they first came out. They reproduced some of the most accurate sweet music from the bottom end through to the top.

3. Jeff Daniels

Jeff Daniels New Member

Hello everyone,I think it's an input problem, because I've run my 6 Cerwin Vega's on my Yamaha MX-1000u which is basically the same amp you have, and the amp handle it without a problem.
    The MX-1000 is new amp to my setup, so I hooked all my speakers to it and it filled the room completely.

IMG_0608.JPG IMG_0616.JPG

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    rottalpha likes this.
  4. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

I suspected gain - good to see this is the problem. Consider the typical phone's earphone jack to be a terrible source to evaluate audio equipment. Connect a CD player to the Tandberg (using it as a pre for the M-85) and you should be able to crank those CVs no problem-o.

5. Jeff Daniels

Jeff Daniels New Member

I've been on vacation since my last post returned and actually had time to hook up and appreciate my new MX 1000U, now I personally know exactly the feeling you have about M-85. I hooked it up played it through my Cerwin Vegas and I found myself lacking mids and highs, it wasn't as crisp as my Yamaha M-70s. So as much as it pains me not to have this amplifier there was no reason for me to keep it, the 70s were just on a whole Other level.

6. Sandstrom

Sandstrom Hazlewoodism Subscriber

7. rottalpha

rottalpha Yamaholic Subscriber

The MX-1000 is a very revealing amp. What you put in is what comes out.

8. rottalpha

He is not the only one. Others have done it. If the amp was restored, it will do just fine.
    If not, Chernobyl waiting to happen.

zaibatsu likes this.
  9. rottalpha

Nice setup. I like the R2R.
    I would not keep the amp in that tight space tho. You'll be baking somethin'

The MX-1000 runs very cool by design and idles at only 70w. It has plenty of ventilation ...even the PCBs have holes through them. but....cover it with something and you will be backing it ...and whatever is above. If covered, even at idle, those transformers will get very hot.

10. Crazeehorse

Crazeehorse Active Member

I can cook dinner on my M-80 running auto class A but the MX1000 stays very cool even under heavy load. Klipsh RF7ii's are my speakers and you can rip someones head off very nicely with these amps, and have them smiling while they go deaf. :)

11. Jeff Daniels

Jeff Daniels New Member

I would agree with you if my two M-70s didn't sound so good compared to MX-1000, the bass was fine, but mids and highs were lacking. I used
    the same inputs from the M-70s and the 4 Cerwin Vega 15s and the sound was like night and day.

IMG_0738.JPG

12. rottalpha

Then I would say you need to have that MX looked at.

darkblue94 likes this.