Yamaha M series and MX amps

Check out this link. It'll give you a good start on info in one location but ultimately only you can make the decision as to which one you should get.
Of course more info on your other gear, room, music preference, etc can help people direct you a bit better.

http://legendaryamps.com/latest.html

Just remember the info comes from Yamahas sales and states why to buy the new instead of the old :)

The main thing is the Hyperbolic Conversion Amplication Circuit vs. the true class A of the lager M-series amps. (The M-85 does 30W class A).
Some say the MX-1000 is a bit tighter in the bass than the M-85, due to the Hyperbolic Conversion Amplication Circuit and so on.
But in the end you will have to hear for yourself, one thing that is for sure - is the MX models are younger than the previous M models if this counts after around 30 years :)

My tech who is a yamaha fan says the m series sound better but the mx series are more reliable! So I will have to see which amp gives me the best bang for the buck on the bay. There is a m-70 on there now for over 500 bucks -they can keep it since is way over priced. I always find it amazing to me how some people ask way more than they should.

My tech who is a yamaha fan says the m series sound better but the mx series are more reliable! So I will have to see which amp gives me the best bang for the buck on the bay. There is a m-70 on there now for over 500 bucks -they can keep it since is way over priced. I always find it amazing to me how some people ask way more than they should.

From M series JFET models are worth considering. If you want amp with bipolar transistors, then MX is probably a better option.

As to the price of used gear, never look at asking price. If someone asks $500, he may sell it for $300-350 if you bargain hard.

Do not settle on anything less that top models when you are buying gear that old.

I think the best could be MX2000, if you can find one.

The MX-2000 is indeed nice, but they don not go for cheap.

One of the good things is that if you buy an old Yamaha amp at an ok price, you will properly be able to get the investment back (give or take a bit) when selling it again. So look at the price of sold units, this will give you an ideer of the market price on the bay (and note the state they are in).

The M models are nice, but notice there is a large change around 1980 (M-70) and again in 1984 (M-80). The M-70 (and M-50) dos not have class A. Before 1980 the TOTL was the M-2 (a really nice amp and different than the M-70).

If you wish to hunt for special models like the MX-2000, look also after the B-6 and B-2x. But bring money or a really powerful four-leaf clover, you will need the luck.

I've owned an M-70, M-80, and MX-1 all at the same time. My M-80 sounded noticably better than the M-70 if listening back to back. Two of us picked it blind several times. I didn't have the MX-1 with me on that occasion and have never tried it back to back with the M-80, but I like it well enough that it is the one I still own after selling the other two.

The MX-1 has a good reputation, but as being the last of the big ones it also is quite expensive. Yamaha did not make a new power amp design until the MX-D1 (about 15 years after the MX-1).

I would properly also pass on a M-70 and aim on either a M-80/85, 60/65 or M-2, but it also depends on the asked price - if the price is right, the M-70 is good value.

In pure analog terms, Yamaha did not make a new "power" amp until 2011 with the A-S2000 witch is an integrated amp, but with a new amp design.

Last edited:
M-70 $500 is way over priced.

There was a M-85 sold for $405 on the bay recently.

yamaha amps

I own both a M60 and. MX800u amps both amps sound great but the MX sounds smoother to me and the MX amp is far more reliable. Speakers I used for comparison AR9's,Energy Pro 22, Technics SB7000,KLH 2 computer controlled speakers, and Advents. Hope this helps:music:

If you're seeking a Yamaha amp, do it right and get an M-2. Subtle yet elegant looks, big sound! The M-2 is amazing at all frequencies. My brother is running NS1000's, a C-2a and an M-2 (all that he commandeered from me, and won't return) and the M-2 is the only amp that makes the NS1000's produce good bass.

I am tempted to add "and remember to use liquid diamonds in the cables, or you will not hear any bass" but.. I will not do so... :)

In stead I will add, that bough the NS-10 and NS-1000 are speakers witch do well on an amp with plenty of headroom.

But I have not seen the OP state anywhere that he is running NS-1000 or NS-10's, so now I confused my self...

Well , I was slightly joking

My son-n-law just loves his C-85/M-4 combo - they drive a pair of B&W wonderfully

BTW-- both got the Avionic treatment :thmbsp:

I prefer a pre-amp with inverted outputs,like a C-80 or 85. Which the C-2 & C-2a don't have.

C-4 pre is a real sweet performer as well.

The Yamaha C-2 is the best preamp you can buy for less than $500. Regarding the B-6, its a PT Barnum. Design gimmick, sub par performance. The B-2 is magnificent, and not too scary to own anymore as the v-fets are available again.

I must chime in on the M4, while the M2 is an excellent amp, they can have rehab issues and rehab can be quite expensive. I have a collection of M4 amps and after a little clean up they all sound either good and/or great. I would say they are the most trouble free of the M series amps, that is my experience. Plus up until recently one could pick one up for a song. Another plus is they sound especially wonderful (with plenty of bass) with my NS1000 speakers.

I never really warmed up to the 'class A' M series amps although my cat did, she rarely sleeps on my M4. In my opinion the M4 is the warmest sounding amp in the M series.

While the M50 is the lower position in the pecking order it actually sounds surprisingly decent.
Michael

Back
Top Bottom