1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha M series and MX amps

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by Cylontymany, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Bratwurst7s

Bratwurst7s In The Frying Pan Subscriber

When I brought my M-50 over to Munich and switched it over to 240v it blew that cap the first time I turned it on. Scared the crap out of me. I bought the amp in early '83 and moved over here in '97, so it had run for 14 years on 120v, and in those 14 years it had a lot of hours on it.

Luckily the damage was limited to the cap. At that time I didn't know any better and replaced the cap with the exact same one.

Cheers,
    James

Please register to disable this ad.

2. TomB19

TomB19 Member

I apologize for necroposting in this thread but I think my question is on topic.

Can someone shine some light on the difference between an MX-800 and MX-800U?

3. rottalpha

rottalpha Yamaholic Subscriber

U is the US ersion without the voltage selector.
    The other is the international version

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    TomB19 likes this.
  4. dino74

dino74 AK Subscriber Subscriber

TomB19 likes this.
  5. TomB19

TomB19 Member

Thank you for the help, gentlemen.

6. Dr. Ear

Dr. Ear Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Regarding the B-6, its a PT Barnum. Design gimmick, sub par performance."[/QUOTE]
    Sorry, I do not agree at all. Had a B-2x, still have M-2, M-4, B-6, MX-1 and A-S3000 all I can say is that the B-6 is an excellent power amp. It is incredible fast with super tight bass and has the widest soundstage of them all.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Sorry, I do not agree at all. Had a B-2x, still have M-2, M-4, B-6, MX-1 and A-S3000 all I can say is that the B-6 is an excellent power amp. It is incredible fast with super tight bass and has the widest soundstage of them all.[/QUOTE]
    I can't stand the B-6's either. Thats why I have three..:thumbsup:

mgkfifty likes this.
  8. ba4x

ba4x New Member

This seems to be my experience. I've had an M60 and an MX600U. The M60 sounded a bit more dynamic and explosive, however the same applied to the amp, which one day blew up and now sits on the bench while the MX600U took its place. Also the MX600U puts out less heat which is nice for paranoia levels while listening for extended hours. I'm very happy with it. Cheers, hope you ended up with something you enjoy (now 4 years later).

9. stoutblock

stoutblock If it sounds good, it is good... Subscriber

I can't stand the B-6's either. Thats why I have three..:thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

I read that the B-6 is a magnetic field amplifer similar to the concept Carver used?

10. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

I read that the B-6 is a magnetic field amplifer similar to the concept Carver used?[/QUOTE]
    Yamaha calls it X-power supply. Its the same.So much the same that Carver filed or threatened a lawsuit against Yamaha's design. I also have a Carver M400 "Cube" which is a magnetic field design,

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 10:06 PM
    mgkfifty likes this.