Yamaha M2 Amp ... should I jump in?

SPEC2man

Are we there yet?
I just found a deal on a Yamaha M2 in nice shape. The first price was $650 which I found rather easy to avoid but the person dropped the price to $550 with the possibility of some wiggle room, if I dont jack him around. Looking around it would seem this is at least a reasonable price if not a steal. I know there are a lot of Yamaha experts out there and I have never owned much Yamaha equipment. Knowing it's only worth what someone is willing to pay, does $550 seem to be a deal? I have a lot of gear and I really shouldn't but eBay prices are nearly twice the asking price in some cases. Its been on my hit list for a while and this one is local.

Anyone with specific experience with the M2? Is it a keeper? I'm wondering about reliability and the potential trip to the shop for a refresh. I thought I might stick it on the front channels of my HT system for now. 250 wpc could drive a set of Magnepan's in the garage, so there is some method to my madness.

I wish I could say I have experience with it, but I would jump on it for that price. It is also on my wish list. I did have the M40 and the M2 is supposed to be much better. I regret letting my M40 go.

That amp is a steal for the price if it's in nice condition as they seem to float around $900-1000. It would definitely benefit from a refresh but they seem to be pretty bulletproof even without so you could run it for a while without worrying about the smoke escaping.
I've owned the M4 which is voiced similar from what I've read and liked it. It had a bit of a warmer top end that wasn't exactly to my liking so I sold it on. I am pretty sure I was the first person to open it and the offset, bias and rail voltages were pretty spot on after 40 some years.

Thanks for the heads up ... I'm going to try and work the deal. It may become a kind of heirloom piece for me. I'll probably sit on it for a while and look for a qualified technician to work it over. I have been looking over some previous posts and reviews ... seems to be a pretty solid unit. I had a PC4002M for a short while and regretted selling it. Never really fit in my system at the time. I sold it off way too cheap and now the value has risen significantly.

I'm kind of a more "warm sound" guy so it might be a great fit.

Back
Top Bottom