Yamaha M65 value and opinions

ben_

Good morning,

I'm still lurking on power amps and the last candidate is a Yamaha M-65, looks in decent shape
bc8a002d8005e8451a3417a027c5adc3592479df.jpg aab5e80083356e637e3467925806f15373b541c4.jpg 4ad5c81b2d7f2f8c19eda2665a9a3456c68d0e9f.jpg

The seller is aking for €350, so US $ 434 today, plus shipping. Seller says the caps were replaced with Nichicons, I'm awaiting for the list of capacitor actually replaced.
I could make the trip next time I go to Paris area for the work but maybe will just get it shipped if its easier.

What do you think of this ? Is it a true gem or asking for trouble ? I'm not into vintage gear at all, my oldest piece is my Sansui turntable from 1983.

Cheers
Ben

It is a fine sounding amp. It has some history for issues with the capacitors that are mounted with the Sansui corrosive glue. Avionic has some history with that group of Yamaha amps. I like mine, though it remains untouched. A lot of clean clear power. I paid $35 for mine.

:) $35, nice score but not representative for what these go for. The M65 is the little brother of the M85. This whole series, as well as the Mx0 series that proceeded them, are highly regarded. $434 is at the high end of what they tend to go for here in the US. With the recap, it's not a bad price.

Last edited:
Yamaha M series are very good amps.Like what was said the price is on the high end of a serviced amp to me.

Scroers notwithstanding I agree with superdog. I'm a cheap s.o.b. so I probably wouldn't give more than $300US for a nice one.

If you go on eBay you'll see that they seem to be averaging about $400 for serviced units which fits in with my experience as well.

That is a great amp. Miss mine for sure, it is stable at 2 ohms, and has the “auto class A” feature. I think it is overpriced a little. If it has been completely recapped and serviced it may be worth the $$. When you get the list of parts replaced you will know

Although most that have stated pricing for this unit were expressing their glee at buying well below the market value, talking about what they would pay here in the US or mentioning pricing that is very region dependent. I would believe these sell for more in Europe. But it has been a number of weeks and wondering if @ben_ has made a decision on this unit? I liked the M45 I had but it needed to be run in the Class A switch position to sound its best.

Back
Top Bottom