Yamaha MX-1000 and CX-1000

Front door hinge.

Yes, That is one of the issues with my $2 CX-1000. Ether the plastic stops attached to the plate are worn or broke, or the flat metal springs have lost there tension. I got a damaged unit off bay that had the remote ( almost impossible to find ) And I pulled the springs out to replace in mine. And no, it is not an easy job. I now plan to tackle mine when I move the equipment to put up our Christmas tree. LOL. If you can get them & are competent, it will take at least an hour or so. And make sure you note were the screws come out at.

Last edited:
Thanks gary and brutal, that's the info I was looking for. Since mine has seen little use I suspect the metal springs have fatigued and broken. Has anyone found replacements or fabricated new ones?

Last edited:
Just saw this thread. You've got some serious karma going to get that Yamaha gear like that. I recently swapped in a Yammie M-85, replacing an Acurus A200 (relatively inexpensive BIG AMERICAN IRON to drive my Maggies). Was surprised how much I loved it from the get go - such smooth yet meaty sound. Made the Acurus, which seemed perfectly fine until then, seem suddenly and positively screachy.

My wife, a professional opera singer, was quite impressed with the difference.

Bought it for the class A, but really, almost never use it, the difference to my ears being much less perceptible than the sudden rise in room temp!

Played my first SACD (recently got a Marantz SA8003) through it last night (Carlos Heredia's Gypsy Flamenco) and almost cried it was so sweet.:tears:

Cannot imagine getting anything better for my current system without spending obscene cash, or getting, like you, obscenely lucky.

Congratulations. Enjoy the MX-1000 (and hopefully a fully restored CX-1000) in good health:thmbsp:

The factory procedure in the SM keeps the volume intact by disconnecting the volume pot connectors and pulling it as a whole after removing the smaller knobs under the panel. You can probably do it like I do most of them, Volume knob - it feels like there are Allen set screws behind the knob face. Probably 4.5mm and then there will be a nut holding the pot to the faceplate. Either way should work.

The factory procedure in the SM keeps the volume intact by disconnecting the volume pot connectors and pulling it as a whole after removing the smaller knobs under the panel. You can probably do it like I do most of them, Volume knob - it feels like there are Allen set screws behind the knob face. Probably 4.5mm and then there will be a nut holding the pot to the faceplate. Either way should work.
Thanks, I just looked at the SM and it looks straight forward. If I can't repair it I'll remove the door and run without it. I'll get at it tomorrow, wish me luck!

So how is the MC phono stage in this thing anyway?

Connection question, is it best to use Tape 1/2/3 for AUX and not use the inputs with video associated with them? I have a TT, CD/SACD, Tuner, and my AppleTV. I do not need video on the pre for the ATV.

Thanks, I just looked at the SM and it looks straight forward. If I can't repair it I'll remove the door and run without it. I'll get at it tomorrow, wish me luck!

So how is the MC phono stage in this thing anyway?

I've never run an MC cart. I'm satisfied with my SL-1600MK2 deck(s) and M97xE carts. It's good, but I still think the C-4 has a slight edge in that department. However, the remote control is a big plus for me when I'm working.

Connection question, is it best to use Tape 1/2/3 for AUX and not use the inputs with video associated with them? I have a TT, CD/SACD, Tuner, and my AppleTV. I do not need video on the pre for the ATV.

Finding a remote that has all the inputs will be the challenge if you need one. The specs on all the (non phono) inputs are all the same. Although I suppose if one were really freakishly concerned about spurious noise coming in on the video input/circuits you could avoid them.

I have the faceplate off and the plastic pieces that hold the door to the hinges are broken. I'll try and use super glue but I'm not optimistic. If that doesn't work is there a trick to getting the door out? Looks like the plastic face needs to separate from the metal on the outside but it's not obvious how they come apart.

Brutal, Thanks for the info on the remote. :thmbsp:

I have a Technics SL-1700MK2 and like it a lot.

I have the faceplate off and the plastic pieces that hold the door to the hinges are broken. I'll try and use super glue but I'm not optimistic. If that doesn't work is there a trick to getting the door out? Looks like the plastic face needs to separate from the metal on the outside but it's not obvious how they come apart.

Brutal, Thanks for the info on the remote. :thmbsp:

Per the SM, looked like a screw in each hinge into the metal faceplate. You might need to think epoxy and possible even "hot-pinning" the hinge to stabilize it. I'd suggest asking Avionic or EW or Merrylander if they've had any direct experience with that type plastic repair.

Thanks. The metal plate does screw into the hinge but when loose it doesn't come out.

I'll let the glue dry overnight and see if it holds. There is not much plastic to glue so I'm not optimistic. It's a very small piece that the screw goes through and broke on either side of the screw. There can't be more than 2mm on either side. Clearly a weak point and tightening the screws too much from the factory would put too much stress on it. There was a glue on the bolt/mount junction so it appears Yamaha knew this was a weak design and didn't tighten the screws too much. They probably added the glue so the screw wouldn't back out. The part I'm referring to is 1-3 in post #40.

The glue has held so far. I rarely open the door on my Denon pre and doubt I'll be inside this one much either since I typically bypass all the controls. So maybe it will last. It's back together and appears to still function properly. :yikes: It's always a crap shoot anytime I work on electronics. I'll have time to install the CX tomorrow afternoon and will report back.

If anyone knows which MC setting is best for a Denon 103R MC cartridge please let me know.

I have also ordered a remote for the pre and I hope it's here by next weekend. None of my pre-programmed remotes worked.

Next up is to find a power cord for the tuner. If anyone knows where to get one please post.

The phono stage is great, bough with MM and MC - quite close to the C-2x.

Regarding the inputs, it is possible to turn off the video input on the control pannel. The audio properly goes with it so for audio only sorce use the others.

FWIW, the hinge door on my CX-1000 is also faulty. also beware of the plastic push button fronts falling off and disappearing.
I use the standard MM 47ohm setting for listening with a high output moving coil Sumiko Bluepoint in play.......also utilize "Source Direct".

Thanks for the input on the phono stage, I'll be testing it out later today. It will be interesting to see if I can hear a difference between the Yamaha and my Denon preamp. I don't think there will be a big difference but maybe I'll be surprised. The Yamaha weighs about 6 lbs more than the Denon and has much larger transformers in it. One thing I'll miss is not having a light on the volume knob. Other than that they are very similar in regards to age, looks, features, and function.

I've got the preamp door repaired, a remote on the way, I'll use the 100 ohm input for my Denon 103R cart, a power cord ordered for the tuner, and all my other SFQ's have been answered so I'm ready to use the preamp and tuner. Look for the other items in Barter Town soon.

We have another winner!

I got a chance to listen to the CX-1000 this afternoon and it sounds very nice. Playing my digital sources through the pre I think the Yamaha sounds slightly better than my Denon but I doubt I could tell the difference in a DBT. I did not use the internal DAC. But I detected a larger difference with the phono stage and I really like what I'm hearing through the CX. So I'll be keeping the Yamaha and selling my Denon DAP 2500A. :yes:

Now the question is what to do with the TX-930 tuner. I should have the power cord and remote by next weekend so I'll get it cleaned up and give it a listen. But I rarely listen to FM through my stereo system and I have a Denon TU RD1500 with RDS so I'll probably keep it. I like the RDS function that shows station/artist/song info. So what's the scoop on the TX-930 anyway? Is it a higher end model or just middle of the road?

P1010037.jpg

P1010038.jpg

The Tuner Information Center write-up for either is no heaping of laurels,but the Denon gets a positive write-up and the Yammie merely lukewarm.

Glad to hear that your experience with the phono stage has revealed hitherto unrevealed talents of your front-end.The GT 2000 performance will outstrip the resolution of many well regarded(inbuilt)stages.Despite that,they all benefit from what it brings to the party.A great source is a firm rock upon which system stability depends.Great amps and great speakers need to draw-from a great source.

Back
Top Bottom