Yamaha MX-1000 and CX-1000

Thanks for the link. If I was into FM tuners I'd just keep my very nice Sansui TU-9900 you see in my rack. I'm still leaning towards keeping the Denon and selling the Yamaha and Sansui but that decision is yet to be made. I do like the phono section in the CX though.

If you want bang for the buck and don't care about vintage analog FM, look into the Sony XDRF1HD.

A Yamaha RCX remote arrived today and works all the functions I need. Thanks for your guidance Brutal. :thmbsp: Hopefully I'll get to listen to my new gear tonight.

A Yamaha RCX remote arrived today and works all the functions I need. Thanks for your guidance Brutal. :thmbsp: Hopefully I'll get to listen to my new gear tonight.

Awesome. You got me revisiting my remote and I was able to resurrect an old RX-V2400 remote I thought had died (and had replaced) by doing a complete factory clear/reset with fresh batteries.

You got the programmable one right?

Yes it's programmable and it's part number VP37320. It doesn't work a couple of the inputs but what input buttons it has works an equal amount on the pre. Also the mute doesn't work but "Effect On/Off" works the Source Direct mode.

Last edited:
CX-1000U remote

The correct remote number is CX-1000, it has CX on the lower right corner instead of RCX. I have seen only one on ebay over the past year & missed it. That's why I jumped on the damaged unit that had the remote. I also had a few RCX remotes that worked a few various functions, too.

I contacted Yamaha several years ago for remote for my cx-1000. They had none in stock but they did have brand new remotes for the cx-2000, essentially the same item. I've read that Yamaha no longer has these remotes in stock either so fleabay may be one of the few remaining options.

Yes it's programmable and it's part number VP37320. It doesn't work a couple of the inputs but what input buttons it has works an equal amount on the pre. Also the mute doesn't work but "Effect On/Off" works the Source Direct mode.

Here's an idea. Unless we can find the discrete codes* and you can enter them (unlikely) into that remote, I could program one of the other RCX remotes I have here that have failed volume buttons and send it to you. You could learn the codes from the remote. The mute on the VK31080 I have here works with the CX-1000.

If you can map out the buttons and input select, etc. you need, we can probably make it work.

*I also have a RAV-2000 (Pronto) I don't really use anymore (mono screen is too hard to read) and I think it can also learn other remote's codes besides being software programmable, so I might be able to pull the discrete codes that do work and build a list if that would be helpful. I searched around and haven't found anything already out there for the CX-1000.

I've seen threads where universal remotes were used to learn/setup a particular device remote and then passed around to other members to re-learn into their own remotes. :D

I just tried my Harmony 520 remote. I downloaded off the website. Here is what it controlled on the LCD screen. Inputs CD, CDv1, CDv2, phono, tape 1, 2, 3, tuner, vcr 1, vcr 2, power toggle (on-off), and Source direct. The volume & mute are controlled on the hard buttons. It would not control the CD & Tuner with this dowmload ( I have a CDX-1060 CD player & TX-1000 tuner). I think the RCX will at least control the Cd player.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I wasn't complaining about the remote and I'm happy with what I have. It would be nice to have the mute button work but it's not a major issue. My comment about the inputs is just that there are two more on the pre than there are on the remote. Not a big deal as I'm only using four inputs.

I use a Yamaha remote from a mini all in one unit. Does not do all the functions but volume is my main concern. Glad you like the MX-1000 amp.I myself am pretty hooked on them and two days ago got my third MX-1000u of an ebay buy it now. I know what you mean about the bottem end and this third amp is to drive my subs which are now powered by an M-80. The CX-1000 is a sweet pre aswell. For some reason though, I like the cx-800 better. Forget why and just go with it as I traded my CX-1000u for my M-80.

I had a chance to really, I mean really, crank up the amp this afternoon. I saw 170 wpc on the readout. As Zilch would say it was playing stupid loud. :yikes: Sounded really good too.

Yes, krankin tunes on that amp is fun. I have four ohm speaker loads and get my meters up to 500-700wpc quite often:banana:I think this dancing banana guy should be invited to my next party:D. Both my 1000's have done many all nighters at these levels with out a single complaint. Even my M-80 which runs the subs at the same levels and impedance holds on for the ride every time,with less heat buildup too.:

CX-1000 DAC Opinions

Anyone have an opinion on the DAC in the CX-1000? I'm loaning my Cambridge Audio DacMagic to a friend for a week and will be using the DAC in the Yamaha during that time.

Just a quick note regarding the TX1000-get it! Your remote will control it as well.
And it's just the greatest: very flexible and excellent audio perf.
You can personalize every preset regarding IF width/auto-tune/tune to hundredth mHz/rf attenuate/quartz lock/display call letters, etc.
I have the Sony HD, I did the analog mod and it's great for very difficult stations, but much prefer the TX!

I have no experience or opinion about the DAC. (see sig) but have heard favorable comments about it.
The TX1000 I can promise you would be satisfying-it combines very high levels of RF and audio performance with delightful programability for each specific preset tailored to the best use of it's respective signal.
AND-it matches you preamp!:banana:

Back
Top Bottom