1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha MX-55 service manual ?

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by AsRock, Nov 28, 2018.

1. AsRock

AsRock New Member

Hi, i am after a service manual for this unit or at least some one to confirm the main transistors in it.

Well why i am asking about this is that the MX55 is a 4 channel Amplifier and it has 2 different pars of transistors.

Why bother with such unit's, well they are in such a awesome condition and have audio drops out's which i am still looking in to, but trying to save my self $20+

Thanks.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Binkman and AsRock like this.
  3. Binkman

Binkman AK Subscriber Subscriber

Anything wrong with the amp? can't compare?? Look up whats in there for hfe. might be good replacement. might be exact replacement just another pn for stock. or post numbers here if you have problems searching or don't understand hfe etc. Member avionic can probably recite off his memory. (no shit!... he can!) if they are good to go.

Gotta be an equivalent amp rated for outputs to compare if you want to look yourself.
    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/mx-50.shtml
    or anything wattage close..

mgkfifty and AsRock like this.
  4. AsRock

AsRock New Member

Thanks, i actually just ended up buying one from ebay.

MX-50 is a different beast.

Besides when it''s been unplugged for a while there is distortion but soon clears up and works how it should. The transistors i checked in to were the SA1491\2, same with the pairs for them a digit difference but from what i have seen they are different. Maybe it's just how they work i am sure the SM will make things much clearer.

Maybe that's how it handles going from 2 to 4 channels. although from what i been told they have been put away for a very long time.

So wanted to make sure this is how they should be before pushing the unit as they are in perfect looking order inside and out.

5. avionic

May have fouled protect relay contacts. From a cold start and when you hear distortion. Quickly crank the volume way up then back down. See it the distortion disappears.

Cold solder connections may also produce the same symptoms.

AsRock likes this.
  6. AsRock

AsRock New Member

ill have to check the relay's later but the distortion does go once the volume has been higher, it's mainly when when it's just been plugged in which could just be the main caps charging still.

First thing i did was check the main board for dry\cold joints, i guess another look will do no harm.

Will have the take the back off too and have a closser look at those relays and speaker terminals as they are right next to the heatsink.

I will tryy to get some pics up as this thing is like near new looking, little dust but when i 1st took the lid off i was shocked how shiny the parts were lol, Although my picture taking skills are not the best hehe.

7. avionic

Relay..Most likely.

8. avionic

As you increase the volume. Your increasing the voltage and current at the relay contacts. The increased power makes a better connection with the relay contacts.

AsRock likes this.
  9. AsRock

AsRock New Member

I had thought that but it's a none issue after the unit has been plugged in and used, don't know how long it takes to do it again as i have only had it a week so.

But i think your on to some thing though and might be worth taking a peek and cleaning as they might be just starting to get dirty

Thanks for your input. :o).

10. AsRock

AsRock New Member

Well taken them off and carefully opened and cleaned them, will have to see in a week or so if it solved it.

There was more dirt in there than i though, good ol camera got it all to show, but all nice and new looking now :banana:

Here's a few pics.

It's no 29 years of dust that's for sure, 2 maybe ?.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. avionic

AsRock likes this.