Yamaha MX-55: Tell me about it.

legal eagle

Sound Hound
Just pulled the trigger on a Yamaha MX-55 amp, a big brother to an MX-35 I already have and a smaller brother to the MX-830 I already have.

Yes, I am becoming a Yamaholic - there is something about the Yamaha gear that works with just about any speakers I hook to them.

Anyway, just got an MX-55, Ti finish. It should be about the same in character as my MX-35 only stronger, but still: anybody can share info about this one?

Also - I've read that there were wood panels to these - supposedly Yamaha SGP-55 but I can find ANYTHING about it. So? Did any other yamahas share these wood panels?

:scratch2:

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/SepA/MX-55.pdf

IT's part of the Titanium series, with was a TOTL lineup in 1989 contaning the CDX-2000, TX-2000, AX-2000, DSP-3000 and MX-55. They all have special build quality and construction, it was ment to be the best mordern setup at that time with surround capabilities. Once you get any of these units inside the house - you will like the rest also :)

Only the CDX-2020 Ti, CX-2000 and MX-2000 toped this lineup.

You can see the other units here (in german): http://www.vintage-hifi.at/Flyer/Titanium Series.pdf

Thanks Mandak,

I knew there were side panels to the MX-55 and yet could not find ANY pics of them - thanks a lot. I am extremely curious to hear what the 55 sounds like and see if there is any difference from the MX-35 (which for what it is, was surprisingly good).

Any experiences out there with the MX-55?

RE: Wood Panels
My CDX-2000 (one of the units TRM noted in the German flyer) has the wood panels, and I once took it apart to get a good look at them. They are solid wood, and they are "structural" components (i.e., there is only wood on the sides, no metal). Also, these wood panels are attached to a special metal case design that is different than the same model with no wood sides, so I am not sure if a no-wood MX-55 can be retrofit with wood sides.

RE: Titanium Series
TRM's link to the German flyer is interesting. These are all "special" units shown in the flyer to be sure. Later, in the USA (maybe elsewhere), many units were offered in a TI finish (many were actually listed with a "TI" at the end of the model number). For example, my DSP-A700 was actually DSP-A700TI. My oldest full-line brochure shows a total of 45 units in TI finish for one model year, but only 4 of these had the wood sides (called the 2000 Series...TX/CDX/CX/MX). These wood-sided units were "special" versions with some high end intent in the design and components build. The non-wood TI color units seem to be the same as the non-wood black versions as far as I can tell.

RE: Wood Panels
My CDX-2000 (one of the units TRM noted in the German flyer) has the wood panels, and I once took it apart to get a good look at them. They are solid wood, and they are "structural" components (i.e., there is only wood on the sides, no metal). Also, these wood panels are attached to a special metal case design that is different than the same model with no wood sides, so I am not sure if a no-wood MX-55 can be retrofit with wood sides.

RE: Titanium Series
TRM's link to the German flyer is interesting. These are all "special" units shown in the flyer to be sure. Later, in the USA (maybe elsewhere), many units were offered in a TI finish (many were actually listed with a "TI" at the end of the model number). For example, my DSP-A700 was actually DSP-A700TI. My oldest full-line brochure shows a total of 45 units in TI finish for one model year, but only 4 of these had the wood sides (called the 2000 Series...TX/CDX/CX/MX). These wood-sided units were "special" versions with some high end intent in the design and components build. The non-wood TI color units seem to be the same as the non-wood black versions as far as I can tell.

thanks for the input - perhaps yamaha thought wood is not particularly american....

Any wisedom re th mx-55 as an amp?

The Titanium series was an exclusive TOTL lineup, not to be confused with the later TI or TI finish units. After the Titanium series Yamaha totaly dropped the "silver" face units, from then on it was black or TI but not the same build quality - not at all. The wood thing is definitely a US thing, many of the models where never sold outside japan and the US (like the CX-2000 and MX-2000).

Regarding the models in the Titanium series, not all of them has a black twin. The power amps are exclusive, including the AX-2000 (the most expensive integrated Yamaha ever did). I also think the DSP-3000 is special, but not sure.

But when you get the MX-55 you know what I am talking about, please post nakeds!

Thanks mandak,
I expect to be getting the 55 'round february (with a whole lot of more stuff. a lot), and will dully post the right nudeies (...not nakeds :D)

How come i don't come across any reviews of the mx-55? really odd.

The MX-55 was intended as an amp for satelites in a surround setup, so only few had interest. Remember Yamaha started the surround thing already in the mid 80's, before most others. At the time where 5.1 started to pickup the amp was already an old model, magazines interest is normaly the brand new units - not the best units.

But I am sure you can find more info in different surround forums.

At the time where 5.1 started to pickup the amp was already an old model...

Interesting...I checked TRMs link in this thread and this unit is indeed a 1st gen surround amp (4 channel capable...front L/R and rear L/R). At least you can run it in 2ch mode and get a clean 70wpc @ 8ohms. It has excellent S/N ratio and (as usual) typical Yamaha low THD specs. I bet it will sound great :thmbsp:

IT's part of the Titanium series, with was a TOTL lineup in 1989 contaning the CDX-2000, TX-2000, AX-2000, DSP-3000 and MX-55. They all have special build quality and construction, it was ment to be the best mordern setup at that time with surround capabilities. Once you get any of these units inside the house - you will like the rest also :)

Only the CDX-2020 Ti, CX-2000 and MX-2000 toped this lineup.

The MX-55 may be a fine amp, and a Ti finish, but its model number does seem a bit off base with being in the same class as the Titanium Series, yes?

Not bashing it at all, lord no. I have a small Yamaha stash myself of 2x M80, 2x M40, C40, C80, T80, and DSR-100 Pro (long retired, but one of, if not the first, DPL processor for the consumer market).

Well the first 4 ch amp was the M-35 (1986) and then in 89 Yamaha came with the MX-35 and MX-55 and the name MX-2000 was already taken by the mighty 2 ch power amp so they had to use a different name. Calling it 2055 would not work since it would say "bette" than the 2000, 1055 same kind of problem since it was a Titanium model and all the 1xxx where "normal" models. So I think they just said- heck with it, it's the MX-55. It is 2x 70W or 4x 35W, so there is no real leed to the name that way either.

Remote???

Guys,

I am resurrecting this thread with a question: Is it possible that this amp has a remote control? I think not, but still I ran across an MX-55 for sale claiming to have a remote.

SO? :scratch2:

I cannot imagine why a power amp would have a remote control...unless it has a remote turn-on jack/connection and that's what they're referring to.

Have you checked the Owners Manual on the Yamaha Manual Library?

the remote pic shows nothing added - it is just plain wierd, and may just be a hard case of bs. it just struck me as odd.

Back
Top Bottom