Yamaha MX-635 Buzzzzzzzz.......

jbbouwkamp

Just picked up a Yamaha MX-635 (135wpc x 2) this morning. Eager to try it out on my Paradigms I just took out my other amp and put the Yammy in its place and buzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Both channels just buzz and music is very very faint in the back ground only when you turn the preamp volume way up. When I touch the back of the amplifier case or when I plug something into the amplifier's unswitched outlet the buzz gets louder. What's going on???

Actually I think I just found out the problem. I was reaching behind the component when plugging the interconnects to the input so didn't realize what was going on. I just pulled the unit out of the rack and noticed the outer metal covering around the rca on both L and R channel is missing. Never seen that one. I'm going to steal the RCAs plugs from one of my "dead" components and slip it in and a solder to see if that works. Guessing it will fix the problem. Let you know!

Actually I think I just found out the problem. I was reaching behind the component when plugging the interconnects to the input so didn't realize what was going on. I just pulled the unit out of the rack and noticed the outer metal covering around the rca on both L and R channel is missing. Never seen that one. I'm going to steal the RCAs plugs from one of my "dead" components and slip it in and a solder to see if that works. Guessing it will fix the problem. Let you know!

That will do it as well....:yes:

OK...not quite so easy. Having never replaced RCA inputs I see that these things are all different on the backside. Any suggestions on how to replace these??? Or, can I just pull the steel "ring" off the RCA of one of my other spare component's inputs and super glue it on???

See pics for view of inside of amp and the problem RCA inputs. Any suggestions for replacing/repairing these?

Attachments

• IMG_8687.jpg
    IMG_8687.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8690.jpg
    IMG_8690.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8692.jpg
    IMG_8692.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8685.jpg
    IMG_8685.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 17
Frequent your local salvation army or goodwill stores. A lot of donated equipment uses that same style jack assembly.

Also, a quick fix would be to run a seperate ground wire from a ground connection PCB on the preamp, to the ground connection on that little circuit board that houses the RCA jacks for the amplifier.

Last edited:
A pair of these vampires would look Sweet...

Attachments

• CM1F.jpg
    CM1F.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom