Yamaha MX8000 MX8300 or NAD 1600A for RS3B's

LAD

I have a chance to buy one of the three amps in the title. All are available locally at a fair market price. Unfortunately I have no way of comparing side be side. The Yamahas are about 100-125 more in price. I have owned NAD in the past and kind of know what to expect as far as the sound. I have never owned any Yamaha gear. My room sounds very bright and the RS3b's seem a little bright in the highs and mids. I'm thinking the NAD would be a good match but hear a lot of good things about the Yamaha's. Any feedback or experiences with these amps and similar speakers would be appreciated.

Thanks, LD

Edit - Typo in the title the Yamaha's are MX800 and MX830

Last edited:
NAD 2600 all the way! 150 watts, S/N 110dB, THD 0.05%, Damping factor 100, should be perfect for RSiiib. While the Yamaha specs are SLIGHTLY better, the sound of Yamaha equipment from the '80's is sterile and, to me, boring.

What pre amp will you be using? I have found that the preamps in my systems have a lot of influence over what the end result will be. Maybe more so than the amplifier being used as long as it is not over stressed and electronically sound.

Nad gear has to be good to be still in business with that name...heard several setups at friends homes and always was impressed. Same with the Yamaha gear, heard some but never owned any. Only Yamaha I ever owned personally was a MX175 pulled out of a dumpster. It was a motorcycle...Yamaha will most likely get the nod but maybe that extra $150 saved by buying the nad could be a down payment on a quality preamp.

Thanks again for the replies. I had been using a Rotel amp RB960BX and Rotel preamp RTC950AX. These were cheap and a bit beat up thrift store finds when I bought and refoamed the speakers. I have been looking for a decent purchase of a Adcom, Yamaha or NAD amp. I have experience with Adcom and NAD but never owned Yamaha. Since they are so highly regarded and were in my price range I was looking at them as well. Anyway long story short I bought the NAD. I saved a considerable amount of money and in the end went with what I knew.

All I can say is WOW. I knew my amplification was lacking but the difference was truly amazing. These are some incredible speakers. I won't go on and on because we all know the feeling when the veil is lifted but I truly didn't know what I had with these speakers. So I am happy with the amp and will look for a preamp next month.

LD

Certainly nice when those speakers have a little head room. Glad you are happy with that choice. Nothing wrong with Nad, very nice no nonsense gear. Have fun:music:

If you like the sound of the NAD through your RSIIIbs, I would look for some kind of passive preamp so as not to change that sound too much. Just my $.02. I too run a pair of RSIIIb speakers and have yet to find an affordable powered preamp that I like.

Back
Top Bottom