Yamaha Natural Sound - what makes it so?

Which Yamaha tuner did you get?

I've tried two, a T-1 and a T-7, bought on German ebay. Both are very good tuners by any standard and not wildly expensive either. I kept the T-7 which has performed faultlessly for the last 6 years.

I've also got a pair of NS-555 speakers. I bought them new 6 years ago. They were real value for money. They are in daily use, playing classical music for the most part. I'm very happy with them.

IMO, Yamaha equipment seems to be somewhat underrated by many in the audio community, but that's OK, probably keeps the second hand price down.

I have a Yamaha two-head cassette deck, and Hitachi and Sony three-heads; the Yamaha has cleaner and more accurate audio than the other two more expensive decks. The Yamaha uses the simple low parts count layout I referred to.

"Which Yamaha tuner did you get?"

*Bottom feeder alert*

The one built into my RX-V870. I had a 717 for a few months. Maybe it needed maintenance, but the 870 was just as capable at pulling in stations and sounded no worse. The 717 went to finance other things.

The 870 is not as sexy, not by a long shot.

Shouldn't be too hard--there are tons floating around if you need replacement parts. What's the matter with it?

Was playing it one day, back in 1989, and the sound went out. I checked the fuses and don't know enough to check anything else.

I pulled it out a year ago and pluged it in. White smoke came out, and I unpluged it quickly. There is a reistor burnt on the left front side now.

As I said the wood case/face is in perfect condition. Would be a good parts unit for someone. I wish it were working, and on my shelf. :sigh:

I have a newer HTR-6080 receiver and it's really nice. It has a lot of features that make it somewhat complex, but sounds very nice. I run my music through a Yaqin phono-preamp first and works very well. It has HDMI inputs so works well as a home-theater setup as well. I had a Sony STR-DE1075 before this one and liked it too. Only reason that I replaced it is that it didn't have HDMI.

Was playing it one day, back in 1989, and the sound went out. I checked the fuses and don't know enough to check anything else.

I pulled it out a year ago and pluged it in. White smoke came out, and I unpluged it quickly. There is a reistor burnt on the left front side now.

As I said the wood case/face is in perfect condition. Would be a good parts unit for someone. I wish it were working, and on my shelf. :sigh:

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that it's still eminently fixable if you want to do it badly enough. Merrylander here on the AK forums is a Yamaha expert. Lots of people send him their receivers to repair/refurbish.

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that it's still eminently fixable if you want to do it badly enough. Merrylander here on the AK forums is a Yamaha expert. Lots of people send him their receivers to repair/refurbish.

I have already talked to him, and he is just up I-95. He never got back to me, so I figured he might be too busy. But yes, I would love to have him look at it. I even offered to clean the carpet in his house as a trade. A great deal for him. :yes:

My CR 1020 Yamaha matched with AR3's sound so Natural ( and I mean that ) , they sound however ... well like a Marantz :yes:

Good point. Yamaha makes great instruments. I love my guitar.

The audio equipment I've heard does have a natural sound.

i will second that !
Their offerings in pro sound and instruments may influence the Hi-Fi line .
I love their acoustic grands, its a goal to have a cf-111S 9' one day.

I went from a Marantz integrated to my current setup using a NAD preamp and Yamaha P2100 power amp. The P2100 is a pro amp and built extremely ruggedly. It weighs 31 lbs. It sounds effortless and clean and although the Marantz sounded warm and nice, the Yamaha has "told" me a lot more about what I have been listening to.

It's hard to find an amp which does this so well.

"Which Yamaha tuner did you get?"

*Bottom feeder alert*

The one built into my RX-V870. I had a 717 for a few months. Maybe it needed maintenance, but the 870 was just as capable at pulling in stations and sounded no worse. The 717 went to finance other things.

The 870 is not as sexy, not by a long shot.

The RX-V870 was my first Yamaha anything, and a very good thing it turned out to be. It was clearly better than the little Pioneer and Fisher receivers that I had been using for a few years.

I love how you can move up incrementally in the Yamaha lineup and get discernable improvements, all the while retaining that family sound.

The only Yamaha receiver I'm familiar with is my CR-620. I've been a devout fan of Yamaha CD players for a while now too. There is something to the sound of the Yamahas and it's apparent on both the late 70's receiver and the late 90's CD player. To me 'Natural' is as good of a label for it as any vs say the Sansui sound for which 'warm' comes to mind or the Pioneer sound which something like 'forward' or 'clean and powerful' might come to mind.

I would think they voice their stereo equipment much like their musical instruments and have musicians involved in their design. However, I am not very wild about their pianos. They sound too delicate in their voicing and lack that extra refined authoritative tone. Their guitars are superb.

At various times I have had Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer here in the playroom system but somehow it has always come back to Yamaha, currently a CR-2040 with NS-690 Mk 1s.
It may get replaced by a CR-3020 if I ever get time to sort out the tuner sheet problem. But even when that happens it heads up to the bedroom and replaces the CR-1000.

Natural? Never get tired of listening to their better gear; always want to turn the volume up, never down. Wasn't the case, for example, with the TOTL Pioneer M-25 power amp. Expected more from that. Have become bit of a Yamaha fan, here. CR-800: terrific little amp. Kids love the mic input. CA-1000III, M-80, PC-2002, NS-200M, NS-1000M, NS-690I and II, GT-2000L turntable.

I have already talked to him, and he is just up I-95. He never got back to me, so I figured he might be too busy. But yes, I would love to have him look at it. I even offered to clean the carpet in his house as a trade. A great deal for him. :yes:

Sorry, no idea how I missed answering. If your 640 has not smoked the pre-drivers it can be fixed, but that burning resistor is a bad sign.

Back
Top Bottom